Shure SM58 vs Beta58A?

Sage

I was going to get a couple of Shure SM58's for high quality live vocals, and for when I need to record several tracks at once, but keep a reasonable sound isolation for mix editing capability. (My large diaphram condensor is just too sensitive some times.)

Does the Beta 58A sound just as good the SM58, only is better in some ways?

The most noticeable characteristic of Neodymium mics like the Beta series and the EV N/D's is that they seem to capture a noticeably extended range of high frequencies... at least to my ears. On some vocals that is often a plus, or at least "more condenser-like". On some instruments it may be an advantage or a disadvantage.

sage, within the Shure family, the Beta 58a and Beta 57a generally sound better for vocals than the regular 58 IMHO.
The Shure SM57, tends to sound better also as the 58's round
top/windscreen screws up the clarity of that microphone.
This opinion is also shared by Scott Dorsey over at rec.audio.pro
BTW, a noted professional who also does microphone modifications. The Shure Beta 87a condenser has the tightest pattern of all the different Shure stage microphones.

Chris

P.S. I own/use the Beta 57, Beta 87a, and '57 for vocals,
and have used the SM58 many times live.

Or, be a smart-guy and get a Sennheiser 855, and be happier with a better microphone all around.
I do like the Betas better than the standard, but I would consider a condensor like the Beta 87 or Sennheiser 865 1st if you really want a more intimate vocal sound.

tubedude said:
Or, be a smart-guy and get a Sennheiser 855, and be happier with a better microphone all around.
I do like the Betas better than the standard, but I would consider a condensor like the Beta 87 or Sennheiser 865 1st if you really want a more intimate vocal sound.

I second that.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the great info. I'm glad I asked those with experience before I jumped out and got a couple of SM58's. The Beta 87 or Sennheiser 865 sound like the way to go. Then I'll be able to record a couple of vocals and some instruments at the same time, and still be able to keep them well-seperate in the mix. :)

Sage

By the way, if you want to hear a few cuts from a CD of meditation music I did you can go to http://www.healingmusic.org/Main/Entering_Devachan2.htm More upbeat kinda stuff inthe works. Enjoy!

Chris,

The email contact on the HMO web site doesn't go direct to me. Maybe she'll forward it to me if she see's it's for me, or maybe not. A direct email for me is sage@metertech.com

Sage

Thanks Sage except I can't e-mail to you here as I don't know
what kind of "server" etc. to fill in for the blanks of your e-mail.
(I tried!)

When you get a chance take a look at the private message
section of this bbs, all the details are there.

Thanks
Chris

I used to use an SM58 as a live mic, which worked great, then I picked up a Beta 58, which seems to have more frequency range, and sounds quite nice. Basically an upgraded SM58.

Back