Shure SM58 Tape Op Mod.

CMolena

Hey guys.

I just posted a video on youtube of me testing my shure SM58 with the famous "tape op" mod. For those who never heard of it before, it consists only of taking out the output transformer that is inside the mic.

So I made a little comparison video and I wanted to share it for you guys to hear how it sounds like.

To me it reduced a lot of the mid rangey sound that this mic normally has. I also think it added a little big of high and low end at the same time. It slightly reduced the output signal...but if you are not recording really quiet sources without a pre amp...it works just fine.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCYsdHxEKmo&feature=youtu.be

Hope you guys find it useful!

I hear a definite difference. I don't think it improves this particular recording. With a mic pointed straight at the sound hole of that acoustic, you're going to be struggling with boominess. I think the mod makes it worse by killing some of the midrange and letting more of that boom come through. However, it might work for difference sources.

Cool video. I think the mod has more presence, which I like with the guitar played alone, but might make the mix more difficult.

I did this to a 57. It reduced the gain to the point that it's only practical use is on drums or amps. The jury is still out on if it's an improvement or not.

I would not recommend doing this modification if you happen to have an old version (unidyne) of the mic(s). The mod is meant for newer versions since the xformers in theses new mics are not as good as the old. I've moded a newer 57 and use it on snare drums and while the output is lower it does make a noticeable improvement in the mic IMO.

Well, it did reduced the gain a little...but I can still use it on acoustic guitar as you can see. Maybe for a whispery vocal or something similar it can be a pain in the ass...IDK, I'll test it.

I agree with Simman...and I did loved the sound I'm getting out of this mod!

I have a SM57 with the mod, which was done when the SM57 snapped a leg off the transformer LOL, I only use it on snare where it sounds great and the lower volume is an advantage with setting the gain.

Alan.

I tried it with one of my SM58s - kind of cool. Now I want to try it on snare.

If you sing into it one thing to think about is that you no longer have transformer isolation and so it seems like it would be easier to shock yourself if you touch your mouth to the grill when there's phantom power - I haven't tested that :)

If you sing into it one thing to think about is that you no longer have transformer isolation and so it seems like it would be easier to shock yourself if you touch your mouth to the grill when there's phantom power - I haven't tested that :)

You will be shocked through the shield (ground) which is not isolated by the transformer, so no extra danger just the same danger.

Alan.

Back