Shure SM58 + 100W Marshall AMP

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
hey guys....i know that the SM 57 is the standard mic for guitar amps

but i was on the shure website and they said that the SM 58 is the same mic as the 57 , only difference is the shape of the top part of it ....and my friend is going to lend me his 58 tomorrow

I've only started micing my amp using a £20($40) uni directional dynamic mic...and it actually sounds ok to me ....

should I expect a major improvement when using the Shure SM 58 ....

oh and i play an epiphone les paul and am trying to get as clean sound as possible ....with very little bass ....so this means i should place the mic straight at the cone about 3 feet away?????....any advice on the tone controls on the amp and mixer?

and for distorted les paul guitar ...place it about 1 inch from the cone ...??? and use less ditortion than i would actually expect to need ...???

PS i use an alesis 8 channel mixer....and this goes direct into my line in on my PC

Last edited:
set the controls to whatever sounds good to you at the time.
i know you are not looking for an elusive answer like this, but the reality is that there are no set rules for mic-ing up anything. What we can offer are basic guidelines that may or may not give you the sound you are looking for.
Your intuitions seem fairly accurate, as far as mic distance, distortion, etc...

3 feet might work perfect, but it also might not. Close mic'ing is popular (1" from the grill clothe), but I happen to like natural room reverb a bit for the most part.

Dynamics are usually used for close mic'ing though. And if you do, the dead center will definatly has less bass, but then it might have way to little bass and feel like ice picks. :cool:

Back