SHURE SM57 same as SM58 ??

Thanks all.

Well, I first tended to go with the 58 and take the ball off when recording instruments. That was my decision after hearing the wrong information saying that the both mics were the same specifications except for the windscreen. But after looking at Shure's sites and the mics specs. I found that the SM58 is not well configured for instruments recording (Extra bass, 50Hz and up while the 57 is 40Hz...) this is while you CAN get a very good vocal sound with the SM 57.

So I'm glad I didn't get that used SM58 this morning (100$) which I could have had by now but would have not be as satified !

Thanks again !

Last edited:
Axis said:
So A sm 58 without the windscreen is a sm57, so does that mean a sm48 w/out the windscreen would be like a sm47, and a pg58 without the windscreen would be like a pg57?

Yo' Axis of Evil, drugs are a terrible thing...........to waste!:D

Never used a SMack48, but indeed the 58 is a 57 less the pop filter. It's like buying 2 mics for the price of one. Peeps claim that
the 58 is sometimes unsuitable for amp-mic'ing but great for vocs
and there is a audio diff! Yeah sure there is a diff in audio translation; pop-filter vs none! And as far as freq response between the 2 is concerned,the diff is ONLY 10 hz! WHY!!?? Again,
the pop-filter on the 58! This is why I don't understand when people state their preference is one over the other when their both the same! I have 6-57's and 3-58's, luv 'em both,used 'em a lot and truly know thiers no diff!

chessrock said:

Hmmm. I might glance again at those facts. The capsule, if I'm not mistaken, is the same as the 57. Also, the 7 isn't technically a "large-diaphragm," although it much resembles one. The only real difference between the 57 and the 7 is the casing and bass rolloff / attenuation options -- which, believe it or not, make a ton of difference. Much smoother-sounding . . . no pops or esses, etc.

Thanks Chessrock for setting me straight! I've heard the SM7 referred to so many times as a large diaphragm dynamic (obviously by people who were just as ignorant as me) that i came to assume it was true.

While neither the Shure website, or the SM7 manual (downloaded PDF file) actually give the dimensions of the capsule, i did find a reference in the FAQ section which said that (paraphrasing from memory): the capsule in SM7 is based on the 57, and it remains similar but not exactly the same as the SM57.

That's enough to convince me you are right about the diaphragm size. That's the beauty of these forums - if you have any misinformation you'll soon be straightened out. Keep up the good work, Chess!:)

Actually, it was Harvey who set me straight not too long ago on that one (I think I posted the exact thing you did), so I'm just passing it on down. :)

Hey, now I hear there are a Mexican made and American made SMs ! Well - will the Mexican sound poorer ? I heard they cost half the price than the American made but not sure ....

where can u get the mexians though, i never heard of that unless they are talking about the pg57's and 58s and such those are 40 or so dollars cheaper

Strange.... Listen to what Shure support has answer me for the same question....

Q:
There is a rumor saying that Mexican made SM57/58 mics are not the same quality as the American made ones, and thus cost haft the price of the American ones. Is this true ? Where I live they sell Mexican made SMs in full price and I would like to know if they are lower quality and should cost less. Thanks.

A:
Shure moved the manufacturing of SM57's and SM58's from the U.S. to Mexico back in the 1980's. All Shure dynamic microphones are now made in Mexico. There is no difference in the quality. The microphones are still made by Shure employees in a Shure factory

How can you explain the fact that most people don't even know there are Mexican made Shures, while that Shure representitive say they have been manufacturing their SMs in Mexico for about 15 years ??

Last edited:
Back