shure and shure BETA

voodoovelcro

ok, i wanna buy some microphones... i don't have enough money, but i wanna buy some good stuff...

shure 57 vs. shure 58? it's extra $50...
i wanna record vocals and guitars, now i know that i'll have to buy shure 58 sooner or later, i looked it up and they say that shure 57 is good for vocals too, maybe if i buy shure 57 beta, it will be good enough for a few months untill i get some more $$...

what should i do?

Voodoo

The Shure SM57 sounds clearer than the SM58 as its windscreen muddies
the sound and distorts the response pattern.
There is a foam windscreen for the '57 that you can use for live use,
and it works better than the SM58's windscreen.
The Shure Beta 57a has a brighter sound than the SM57.
Whichever one you choose, be sure to use a pop screen (not foam)
when recording.

If your voice is prone to any sibilance (like me!), the SM57 works better,
unless you have a de-esser handy.

The Electro-Voice EV 635a is another excellent choice BTW.
Just remember to "eat" that mike if you do vocals with it.

Chris

The 57 is definitely a workhorse mic, which you'll never regret having. The 58 is basically the exact same mic, with a different windscreen, which most folks think makes the 58 less versatile than the 57. If I were you, I'd just buy a 57, and grow with it.

BTW, where are you buying from? $50 price difference between the 57 and the 58 seems like either a cheap 57 or an expensive 58. The 57 should cost you no more than $80 (and can be found for quite a bit less, ie. ebay). The 58 should cost you no more than $100, and same as above. Those prices are from musicians friend, and just about any music shop should be able to match them.

-mg

The SM57 and SM58 don't sound the "same".
If you don't believe it, ask pro engineers like Harvey Gerst, Scott Dorsey,
or Bob Olhsson what they think. Just want to clarify a popular misconception.

Chris

i'm sorry guys

I'M SOOOOOOOO SORRYYYYYY, i was gonna ask about difference between :

a) Shure 57 and Shure 57 BETA

and

b) Shure 58 and Shure 58 BETA

my appologies, this is all new to me......

Voodoo

btw

that also answeres MADGRAFFEO's question, price difference between Shure 57 and Shure 57 BETA is about $50... same with 58 and 58 beta....

Voodoo

The Beta series use a neodynium magnet that is stronger than the 'ol SM line. It causes the microphone to be closer to a condenser in sound by having greater transient response.
Sometimes you want the resulting brightness, sometimes not.

Chris

Back