Shure PG 42 vs Beyerdynamic M-99 (Condenser vs Dynamic) For Game Voice Overs

RecordingRookie

Heya, following up my other thread, I have narrowed it down to these two cards.

My needs and intentional use :

I am planning to produce Videos with Voice overs, on almost a daily basis, at home, to then publish via youtube.
Now it is important to me that the Voice Overs are clear in quality, intimate in feel and audience inclusive, meaning the audience feels being part of the experience by feeling close to the narrator, think similiar to BBC wildlife documentaries.
My Budget is quite short, I am also not planning to do any instrumental recording or any kind of musical work, only Voice Overs.

I suspect that a Dynamic mic might be better for my purposes, I am worried that a condesner mic might pic up too much background noise such as my clicky keyboard etc.

Any advice and experience on this choice ?

I would likely be using a focusrite 2i2

Last edited:
The Shure PG42 was my primary mic for screencasts for much of 2014. It is a great USB mic (with shock mount) for the money, and excellent for VO. As Mark suggested, the EV RE20 might be a best choice. Mine is dead quiet in a 150-year-old wooden house with high ceilings and two refrigerators in the next room. I think the RE20 flatters my awful voice better than most mics.

Back