Shure KSM44SL, anyone use this or have this mic?

pM of impk21.co

I'm looking at getting a Shure KSM44SL Condensor mic. I would be using mainly for Rap and R&B, anyone use this mic for those purposes, or at all for that matter? Just wanted to get some input before I make a purchase, thanx, PM

IMHO it sucks out of the near field. In close it's good and in your face - big presence boost up top. I think I just wrote the first bad thing ever written about the KSM44!!! :)

IMHO I disagree..I think it is better out of the nearfield :)..I also find it to be very neutral, borderline dark. Good for Male vox, guitar...Love the omni pattern. Alot of this also depends on the pre used (and the room itself). This is a REALLY hot mic. I say get it. WIth a good pre amd comp you won't be disapointed.

Ray

krs said:
IMHO it sucks out of the near field. In close it's good and in your face - big presence boost up top. I think I just wrote the first bad thing ever written about the KSM44!!! :)
LOL... I think I may have writtten the first bad thing ever written about the SP B1... but, I bet Shure doesn't give you hell for it like SP gave me. ;)

Yea, the Shure guys have way too much class to scope out these boards and stalk people who diss their stuff. Either that or they're just smart enough to be discrete about it. :D

Or they're just so successful and their stuff is so good, they don't give a shit.

the 44 is a great all around mic. Super quiet, nice rounded out sound. I'd call it smooth. I sometimes reached for it over the U87 in certain situations. Not as brite as some mics. but sometimes you don't need a really brite mic sometimes you want that smoothed out tone. It will work well in many situations for you with its polar pattern options.

LOL Don. It's funny how much consensus thinking there is on the BBS's.

I was actually surprised when he KSM44 just showed all it's weakness in a classical recital, I expected it to do much better. I put it up along with the stereo pair for the hell of it just to see how it would handle cello and piano in a big hall (about 3m out). Unusable, muddy, just crap.

Put it up near the f-hole of my cello, and jesus, that's a different story. There's my 2 cents, Ray probably we use the mic on different sources with different expectations (not to mention a different concept of out of the nearfield).

Still a good mic, just not for what I do. :)

The KSM 44 is a perfectly good versatile studio workhorse. I'm in the minority thar prefers AKG C414 (B-ULS or TLII, it doesn't really matter).-Richie

I like the KSM44... and the AKG C414 is a great mic too... a true workhorse and a studio standard. IMO, the AKG C414 is a "must have" type mic.

Back