Shure KSM44, AKG C414 B-XLS or B-XLII, Rode NT 2000, AT4050, Rode K2,

resonancestudio

These are what I am looking at for my next addition to the locker. I gues I am looking for the most versatile (kinda obvious by the switchable polar patterns). I am interested in personal experience with these mics especially if you have several of them. Also any insight as to which ones are made where?

which one

xls or XLII - AKG says that the xls is voiced for solo instruments and vocals while the XLII is for acoustic instruments... I don't know how accurate that is...

I've got two C414B-ULS, and they're great on almost everything except most vocals (but are great on some vocals) - no experience with the others.

I've got an AT-4040, and if it sounds at all like the 4050 in cardioid, then I would probably like the 4050 better for most vocals. But I totally use the 414 in cardioid over the 4040 for overheads, acoustic guitar, percussion, anything I have no idea how to record, etc.

resonancestudio, you're right - they generally have two models, one for vocals and one for everything else (the B-ULS was for everything else) -- I think the vocal versions are tuned with a mid-range bump, but I don't have one of those

I've got a KSM-27, and I've read that the capsule is similar to half of the KSM-44 dual capsule thing, but those who have tried both seem to say there's a big difference. I'm not in love with the KSM-27, but it's OK on acoustic (like the 414 much better)

Last edited:
I am very interested to see what people say in this thread because I am looking to add exactly one of those mics to my locker as well!

The KSM44 and 414 are both very good and flexible mics. You can not go too wrong with either of those. Both very legit pro mics.

I own both the c414b uls and the Ksm44. I've also used the K2. If I were to only keep one then it would have to be the Shure. I mostly record acoustic instuments and vocals with some electric guitar and hand percussion so I've tried neither on drums. For my purposes I find the Ksm most usable (I love it on acoustic guitar). I find the c414 doesn't work well on my voice and although I like it on most things I don't love it on anything. The Ksm is pretty decent on vocals. I can't imagine a better workhorse for me.

That being said, I think if you wind up with the Shure, the AKG, or the 4050 you wouldn't be unhappy. Even if you pick the wrong one I think you got a pretty damn good mic.

I have a couple AT4050s and have used some C414s, mostly the B-ULS and older models. Like others, I like the 4050 better for vocals than any of the C414s I have used, although I'm sure that the right model of C414 works well for some voices. The AT4050 is a good swiss army mic. Generally good for vocals, very good for overheads, good on many instruments. A pretty flat unhyped mic with decent presence. Depending on what you want to spend, you might look at Gefell mics as well. The M70 or M71 and the newer transformerless models are great mics - better IMHO than either the AT4050 or the C414. I have an M71 and an MT711s (transformer and transformerless cardioid only models) Think about whether you really need a multi-pattern mic. I have them, but find I almost always use them in cardioid.

I've used the C414-XLS, the KSM44 and the AT4050...all of them pretty extensively. It's a close call...I've never had a *bad* experience with any of them. It'd be between the 4050 and the KSM44 though...there have been a few times when the C414-XLS was definitely not the right mic for a vocal. Honestly, I can't decide between the 4050 and the KSM44...I guess I'd buy the one that was cheaper at the time.

Frank

I've been looking at an AT4050 or KSM44 for a while. I don't know if I'd get a 414, there's just too many variants and I'm too likely to get the wrong one for me. Although I've heard good recordings from all. And don't yet own any of them. sE Titan looks promising. And the newer MKH 80## series might be more my cup of whatever. All of which are out of my current budget.

What about the M-audio Sputnik? it is a tube mic which the switchable polarity and it looks to be very promising from the reviews...

I also own the sputnik and while I like it quite a lot I wouldn't call it as versatile as the others.

It seems your getting some kind of consensus from the last several posts. Also I wouldn't take Ronans opinion lightly. Weasel may be onto it with buying the cheapest one. You really can't go wrong here.

i guess

I am going at4050... although I want them all and I guess that is what is hard about it. Might as well pick one and go with it...

I recorded a few (screaming) vocal tracks with my old band on a C414 through an Avalon mic pre...sounded SWEET for screamy vocals (at least with my voice...and I like to think that I'm half decent at it! :cool:). We used it on the bottom side of a snare (of maybe it was top....regardless, on the snare) and it sounded really good, too. For singing, though, I'd find something else for male vocals. It didn't hold its own in that department; I think we used a TLM 103 for those tracks. But yeah, very versatile mic, undoubtedly.

I've got two C414B-ULS, and they're great on almost everything except most vocals (but are great on some vocals)

......I'm not in love with the KSM-27, but it's OK on acoustic (like the 414 much better)

EXACTLY!

KSM44 and the 4050 - in the right hands - both would be the goto voc mics, the C414 would do everything else exceptionally well. I dont have a whole lot of "everything else" so my 414's are dedicated to guitar cab (414 + AT2035) and acoustic guitar (414 + AT4033).

C414 is an Austrian build, I believe. AT are mostly Japan. As far as I know, the Shures are all USA made.

I bit the bullet

And got the AT 4050 and the M-audio sputnik, my first impressions are that they both sound really good! The AT 4050 is darker lacking a really sizzling top end but has a really nice low end. the sputnik is crisper up high with a lot of "air" sound to it which I really like on Vocals and acoustic instruments and clean electric sounds.

Back