Shure KSM27 or SM57 for recording bass?

futbol1097

I have a Shure KSM27 condenser mic and want to lay down some tracks for electric, acoustic, and bass guitar, as well as vocals and a 5-string banjo. I have come across a great deal on a Shure SM57 dynamic mic and am thinking about picking it up. For recording the bass with my 60W bass amp, would I get a better recording with my condenser mic or use the SM57? If not, when would the SM57 be better than the condenser - only on drums?

Thanks,
R

Well, the ksm27 will definitely pick up more of the low, lows, if that's your thing. The sm57, on the other hand, will definitely give you a lot more defined midrange, which can often be just what a denser rock mix needs, for example.

try everything you can. I like to use a DI through a RadialDI and a KSM27 about a foot or two away, don't allways use the mic though. For acoustic depending on what mood I'm in I like to use a 57 pointed at the sound hole from the bridge and a KSM 27 about a foot or two away(depending on how much room sound I want in it.

Just some Ideas to try.

Best of luck,
Kyle

if you came across a super cheap 57, grab it regardless...while usually not the best mic for a given source, you can almost always get something passable

Ironklad Audio said:
if you came across a super cheap 57, grab it regardless...while usually not the best mic for a given source, you can almost always get something passable

As true as this is, watch out for fakes, particularly on eBay, as you may have read in many places.

Chessrock recommending a 57?

I'm gathering firewood, because Hell is surely about to freeze over. :D

Yeah, yeah, I know, he just gave you a choice of 2, but if he hasn't bought the 57 yet I'm amazed you didn't give him some alternatives.

To the OP, (and here's where I get flamed), I don't know what the 27 would be like on a guitar amp, but it's possible that you might like a 57 also in that situation. Even if you don't prefer it, it would give you another flavor, so that all of your guitars don't sound the same. Use the 27 on one take, the 57 on another, so that when you layer them, it's got a little added depth.

Or, maybe there's another mic that would be better suited for your situation, but it never hurts to have a second mic, no matter what it is, just to keep everything from sounding homogenous.

The 57 is a great starting point on a lot of those. Even on the acoustic guitar it can give you a different yet neat sound. It took quite a few years and quite a few mics for us to get snobby about the 57 (and some of us never do!)

Back