shure 57 vs. shure 58 TECHNICAL question

bunnygirl

Ok, got a Shure 1uestion for you, but before I ask, I do want to let you know that I've already lOOked this up under search to no avail. so alas, here the question is now being birthed as a new post. The question is:....*drumroll* (here's a challenge for you: try to answer in 50 words or less in as little tech speak as possible...)

Q: TECHNICALLY, what is the difference between the Shure 57 and Shure 58? I know the 58 is preferred for vocals and a pair of 57's for guitar or drums, but WHY? What is the difference between the two?

Oh, and feel free to throw in words like unidirectional, cardiod and dynamic in your answer, as long as you include a very short and simple definition of those words.

WELL THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!
-bunnygrl

57 vs 58

Well you see, the SM57 is more of a "dude" mic, and the SM58 is more of a "chick" mic.

It just comes down to frequency response - the amount of treble, mids and bass that the mic picks up.

What Charger is saying is that the foam windscreen inside the dome of the 58 alters the frequency response enough to make it different.

When shure designed the mic with vocals in mind, they gave it the mesh and foam to protect the signal from typical problems that occur when recording the human mouth.

not gidge

Sorry VS, bunnygirl is bunnygirl and gidge is gidge! (who is gidge? Hi Gidge, nice to meet you if you are reading this) :) i for one don't need an excuse to ask silly questions, being a complete and TOTAL home-recording newbie. i just ask them outright... i don't want gidge to get all the credit for asking all the silly questions! *wink-wink* well thanks for the responses above-they make things clearer....
-bunnygirl

According to the spec sheets, the 58 has a frequency response of 50Hz-15kHz, while the 57's is 40Hz-15kHz. But somehow, in my experience, the 58 seems a little more crisp. I s'pose it's the same effect as rolling off the bottom end?
I also prefer the feel of the 58, as I tend to brush my lips right up against the screen when I sing.

ednor59 said:
According to the spec sheets, the 58 has a frequency response of 50Hz-15kHz, while the 57's is 40Hz-15kHz. But somehow, in my experience, the 58 seems a little more crisp. I s'pose it's the same effect as rolling off the bottom end?
I also prefer the feel of the 58, as I tend to brush my lips right up against the screen when I sing.
And according to the date, this thread is almost 5 years old! :p

ednor59 said:
I wouldn't expect that's the reason. Notice there's no ref. in that spec as to what happens at 0" Vs 1" for example.

This topic has been discussed many times.

Bottom line - the 57 and 58 use the same capsule. The response is different due to the grill.

Next?

Back