Shrek 2 voice over

Arpegiator

Hi.My question is the following.Yesterday, watching the special features of Shrek 2,i noticed that when the actors doing the voices for the characters,the mics were placed too far and high from them (about 3 feet long)(and i think the had 2 mics placed at the same position)*.As far as i know,i good start point to record a voice isto place the mic 3-6inches (depending of the ambient you want).So.. whats going on?Is this some kind of technique?Another question that i have.. can you recommend to me some proffesional voice mics (wanted for voice overs) no matter whats the cost.And some vocal mics, which diagram should i choose?Thats all!
*{Did the placed the second mic to get a stereo image?Or one of the mics was off and they switch it on in different parts of the movie??}If u know any good site refering on voice over tell me!Thanks.

I haven't seen the clip you're referring to, but, if they were using condenser mics, it would be reasonable to be further away to lessen the proximity effect (bass boost when close to a mic). You want the characters to sound like they are speaking in a room, rather than right up on your ear, as you might with music.

As for voiceover mics, the following are classics:

ElectroVoice RE20
Shure SM7

Those are both large diaphragm dynamic mics that are staples in recording studios. Nicer condenser mics would also work.

Another good Voice Over microphone is the Audio Technica AT4040. This is a side-address condensor. The Electrovoice RE20 and the Shure SM-7B are dynamic microphones and are front address mics.

The AT4040 is around $299, the Shure S7-B is $350 and the EV-RE20 is around $399.

AT4040
p19214b.jpg

Shure S7-B
225820.jpg

EV-RE20

76681.jpg

Arpegiator said:
...place the mic 3-6inches...

This is waaaaaaayyy too close for a large diaphragm condensor mic.

And I'd get a RØDE NT1000 for the application you mentioned.

apl said:
{...3-6 inches...} This is waaaaaaayyy too close for a large diaphragm condensor mic.

And I'd get a RØDE NT1000 for the application you mentioned.

Hm... not sure; sometimes working at 6 inches (15 cm) gives a nice bottom end, depending on what you want. It also depends on the mic; I usually work the C1 a bit closer than the NT1000.

But anyway, I second the Røde NT1000 suggestion; I like mine also as a pretty clean mic that gives a faithful representation of the source with just a hint of sparkle. It does, though depend a bit on the actual preamp in use.

-- Per.

baekgaard said:
Hm... not sure; sometimes working at 6 inches (15 cm)

Yes, but closer than that would be rare indeed. 8~12" (20~30cm) is where most will sing.

Arpegiator said:
Hi.My question is the following.Yesterday, watching the special features of Shrek 2,i noticed that when the actors doing the voices for the characters,the mics were placed too far and high from them (about 3 feet long)(and i think the had 2 mics placed at the same position)*.As far as i know,i good start point to record a voice isto place the mic 3-6inches (depending of the ambient you want).So.. whats going on?Is this some kind of technique?Another question that i have.. can you recommend to me some proffesional voice mics (wanted for voice overs) no matter whats the cost.And some vocal mics, which diagram should i choose?Thats all!
*{Did the placed the second mic to get a stereo image?Or one of the mics was off and they switch it on in different parts of the movie??}If u know any good site refering on voice over tell me!Thanks.

They are trying to capture the room sound as opposed to close-miking. It is the proper way to record and the #1 reason that pro-studios pump out really great "big" sounding recordings. Close-miking is great when your room is not great sounding as the technique removes most of the sound of the room.

Back