Should we boycott MP3.COM ?

The Axis

I am not a member of the Premium Artist's service, so it doesn't make a difference to me personally; but it seems like MP3.com's new policy is just pulling the rug right out from under all the semi-starving artists in it's clutches, after THEY have been the ones who made the site successful.
If all mp3.com artists simultaneously remove themselves completely from the site, I think they would get the message that you can't have other people build up your site, then screw them !
I will withdraw also if there is widespread support for this idea. ???

It seems like mp3.com overlooked the fact that we all have computers and we communicate all over the net ! :)

Peace,
Rick

I pay $5 per month for MP3.COM to host 50MB worth of MP3 files via the B2B audio hosting plan. I think it's worth it, and I can even pay for it with all that worthless artist cash.

I've never used a free site that was good for very long. The reason that MP3.COM is changing its policies is because it's going down the shithole. All the dotcom funding is gone, and these companies have had to wake up and smell the business plan.

I was pissed every single time MP3.COM changed policies while I was using their free service...so I pulled my wallet out of my ass and took it upon myself to host my own shit, which is working out much more nicely :)

Slackmaster 2000

MP3.com has been pissing me off for a while now. The only reasons I stay with them is...

1) Their DAM CD program. I think this is fantastic. Let's face it, a guy like me who is going to sell 50 copies of his cd isn't interested in going with a real disc manufacturer. It just doesn't pay. DAM cds are a great idea. I know the downside of lower quality, cheap paper, possibly blurry graphics, but that doesn't bother me one bit. Its a great program and the biggest reason I use MP3.com.

2) They are the biggest. Believe me, I'm no fan of MP3.com, but they are the biggest MP3 place on the net. Everyone knows who they are and therefore know where to get my music. Not using them is like refusing to put your CD on the shelves of the biggest brick and mortar outlet in the world. You just wouldn't do that.

I've been around this issue a million times in my head and I keep coming back to the same reasons. If there was another company out there that did what these guys do, I'd be there in a heartbeat. There have been a few that tried to do this, but they failed, or their system didn't work. MP3.com is slow and I hate their mentality, but they work enough for me to stay.

For the record, I prefer IUMA, or even Nowhere Music, but they don't offer the DAM CD type service. I have music up at both of those sites.

Back