Should I still invest in SM57s??

kevvwho

I recently was on a hunt for finding a good set of sdc mics and came to the conclusion of

Sm57s
Mxl 603s
Behringer c-2s
And nt5s

Looking to go in my budget I decided I would go for a pair of sm57s... Randomly going on eBay I find a used pair of nt5s for $200!! What a deal. I bought them and they are on their way... I have done much research on all of these mics and I think it was worth spending the extra money on a mid grade mic rather lowball and outgrow my sm57s in less than 6 months... But after reviewing all the good feedback on sm57s I'm wondering if I should still invest in a pair even after getting these nt5s... To guys who have experience w both my question to you.. Do sm57s suit drum recording over the nt5s?? I bought the nt5s with the intent to record acoustic guitar and would I bode better recording djembe and or Cajon on the, or the sm57 ??

Thanks ahead of time

I think it was worth spending the extra money on a mid grade mic rather lowball and outgrow my sm57s in less than 6 months...

You'll never outgrow SM57s. I wouldn't necessarily use them for drum overheads, but they have so many other uses around the studio from close drum micing to guitar cabs to even vocals in a pinch.

Good snag on your NT5s by the way. Having a couple SM57s never hurts though :)

When I record a whole band set up all I use usually is 57s (snare, toms, cabs, bass), nt5s (overhead, acoustics), sm7b (vocals), d112 (kick).

You can get a lot of milage out of 57s and nt5s.

+1.
Different things for different applications (usually). Both will always be very useful.

Just thinking, is it some kind of sin that I don't actually own a 57 and never have?
I mean, I still have a lava lamp........

It's all a matter of preference. I would rather own a pair of 57's than NT5's. I'm sure others will feel differently.

BTW. 57's can be cool as overheads.

+1.
Different things for different applications (usually). Both will always be very useful.

Just thinking, is it some kind of sin that I don't actually own a 57 and never have?

Is it a sin that I don't have a lava lamp? I do have some 57s though. Maybe we should combine studios before the recording gods smite us.

+1.

Yes but you have the EV equivalent ... Right Paul?

Flavors will come and go, but the venerable SM57 is what it is for a reason. First of all it’s an unbelievably flexible studio workhorse. I’m working on an Exovex project with Josh Freese (Devo, NIN, A Perfect Circle) and his snare sound is all SM57 (top and bottom). I used one on acoustic guitar in the same track with a BAE 1073 mic-pre and it sounds fantastic…and yes…I had several other choices. The 57 was the best fit for the track. Sometimes it’s exactly the right thing….

Back