Should I Get A SM7b Or A RE20?

Right now I got a N/D767a and a RE-27. Although I like both of these mics I heard the RE-20 is more natural sounding than the RE-27. I don't really want to sell either of the mics I got. They both sound different but are great and serve the purpose that I wanted which was good audio out of the box no EQing the crap out of them etc. I use a quad-capture preamp which i heard and assume only has 60db of gain. Looking over at it right now I can see it's almost maxed out for the re-27. any noise from the preamp is covered up by the computer fan noise so idk if it's clean. im assuming its not though. which cuts out background noise better? re-20 or sm7b? i heard minimum gain for sm7b is 65 right? Right now I'm leaning towards getting just the re-20 so i have all the best EV's which is not what i was originally intending to do they just seemed to serve what i wanted. but from specs it seems like the sm7b is actually the brighter mic of the two since it goes to 20khz instead of just 18 like the re20 but like i said people said the re20 is still a very good clear and detailed mic.

There's a lot more to it than the paperwork.

Taking the idea that the SM7b should be brighter than the re20....I wouldn't say it is.

For me, the sm7b is the go to mic for full sounding, deep voice recording.
The re20 is the to go mic for a less bassy sound that will cut through better. A crisper sound, if you like.

It probably comes down to the variable-d thing or whatever they call it. The re20 has reduced proximity effect.

I've never used a 27, but it's generally described as being brighter and hotter than an re20.

Anyway, there are a few ways to get your real answer.

1: Listen to controlled comparisons of the mics.

2: Try each of the mics at a local store or studio.

3: Describe in greater detail what's wrong that you have to eq so much.
EDIT: I just realised I misread your part about eq. Sorry.

It's often said that a nice preamp can bring any of these mics to life. If you have the opportunity to borrow or road test something nice, it might make all the difference.

Ultimately there are too many variables. You could spend £100,000 on mics and preamps only to find out your voice or room sucks.

which cuts out background noise better? re-20 or sm7b?
I know not everyone has the means to do things right, but I think you're looking at this backwards, like, which plugin will fix my out of tune guitar recordings.
Just tune it first. :)

If you have room noise problems, move the source of the noise, or move the mic away from it. That really is the bottom line.
Beyond that, the mic that picks up less noise (in relation to your voice) is the one you're closest to.
I know there's more to it than that, but it definitely helps.

Last edited:
May I ask what you are recording? I can't imagine needing 60dB for an Re20, let alone the 27, which is more sensitive.

Both the RE20 and the SM7 are great professional mics, and both excel in close mic situations. If you are mic'ing at a distance then perhaps adding a condenser to your arsenal might be the way to go. As Paul says, if you have noise issues then address those at source, or perhaps look for a hyper cardioid and use the nodes to reject the noise.

Once again I will say that RE20s are fantastic mics. I have three and could happily use more.

Stewart

Right now I got a N/D767a and a RE-27. Although I like both of these mics I heard the RE-20 is more natural sounding than the RE-27. I don't really want to sell either of the mics I got. They both sound different but are great and serve the purpose that I wanted which was good audio out of the box no EQing the crap out of them etc. I use a quad-capture preamp which i heard and assume only has 60db of gain. Looking over at it right now I can see it's almost maxed out for the re-27. any noise from the preamp is covered up by the computer fan noise so idk if it's clean. im assuming its not though. which cuts out background noise better? re-20 or sm7b? i heard minimum gain for sm7b is 65 right? Right now I'm leaning towards getting just the re-20 so i have all the best EV's which is not what i was originally intending to do they just seemed to serve what i wanted. but from specs it seems like the sm7b is actually the brighter mic of the two since it goes to 20khz instead of just 18 like the re20 but like i said people said the re20 is still a very good clear and detailed mic.

If you dont own an RE20 then you most definately need to add one to your collection but....you will find yourself using it for everything !! Ive cut more vocals with this mic than any other mic in my whole recoding carreer since the early 8os so......GET IT !!!:listeningmusic:

You will then have 3 EV mics, and EV mics have a very characteristic "EV Sound" to them. And you won't know that you have that characteristic EV sound in all of your mic tracks until you get a good mic that isn't an EV, and record and compare side by side. In the tiny realm of my experience, ALL EV mics have that characteristic sound. IMO, EV does not make a "transparent" mic. They are made to excel at cutting thru, especially the hand held N-Dyms like your 767.

I had an RE20, then I bought a SM7b, did side by side, the RE20 got sold. The SM7b is a much more honest and versatile mic.

That goes back to what I said up top.

The final preference is opinion and no one can argue with that, but RE mics generally cut through by design, and sm7b and similar tend to be much fuller sounding.
I find an md421 to be a great halfway house.

yes the 767a sounds quite boosted so i sold it because the re27 was cleaner overall and more consistant. my re20 is coming in the mail today. i will try it out in comparison to the re27. hopefully i will sell the one i dont like. im hoping idont keep both. i wish you guys would shut up about the sm7b because i decided to go with one of the REs then stop buying mics. i kinda wanted to get a at4040 but i think im pushing it. im gonig to get a fanless power supply for my computer instead to make the RE mic i keep happier. That should get me through all my vocal work. I have been satisfied with the electro voice mics more than the shure mics over the years admittedly i bought the crappy muddy sm58/sm57s though. the nd767a had a field day on those. in a way im hoping i like the default sound of the re20 because i have to disable the bass on the re27 cause i think the bass is horrible but it has a ok sound liek i said i compared it to the nd767a which is not nearly as consistent. it can have nasal issues. it sounds a little bit distorted like it went through a compressor. it has plosive issues. its def not a broadcasting mic but its a wonderful handheld that is so good i referenced it when adjusting the re27 to make it sound better which honestly took a lot of work to accomplish. re27 can sound pretty bad by default i think with its bass. i had a re320 a month or so ago i thought id never be buying a more expensive mic than that but idk how im now juggling the more expensive REs, lol. re320 is garbage by the way. is bass scoop switch is not for vocals and its bass is a hollow metal lingering sound. it doesnt reduce prox effect as much either. it is crap.

Dreamcaseal, I think you're the only person I've ever heard describe the re27, re320 and sm57/58 as being bad.

If that's how you feel you won't like the re20 so don't get your hopes up.

My guess is this, and I hinted at it before but I'm more serious now.
Your voice or your room sounds bad.

I could be wrong and perhaps you just genuinely don't like those mics, but if that's true, you're a rare case.

If the re27 had plosive/distortion issues, it wouldn't be a broadcast standard.
Regarding the 320 proximity effect, I can't say I've tried it first hand so I can't say you're wrong, but it uses the same variable D technology and very similar housing to the re20/27. I'd be surprised if it didn't handle in the same way as the others in the series.

It's their primary selling point, for goodness sake.

What's with all of this EV hating!

Like Steenamaroo suggested it's gotta be your space or your face.
Ten's of thousands of professional EV users out there can't be wrong.

Dreamcaseal, I think you're the only person I've ever heard describe the re27, re320 and sm57/58 as being bad.

If that's how you feel you won't like the re20 so don't get your hopes up.

My guess is this, and I hinted at it before but I'm more serious now.
Your voice or your room sounds bad.

I could be wrong and perhaps you just genuinely don't like those mics, but if that's true, you're a rare case.

If the re27 had plosive/distortion issues, it wouldn't be a broadcast standard.
Regarding the 320 proximity effect, I can't say I've tried it first hand so I can't say you're wrong, but it uses the same variable D technology and very similar housing to the re20/27. I'd be surprised if it didn't handle in the same way as the others in the series.

It's their primary selling point, for goodness sake.

you are a little confused. the nd767a is the mic that has plosive/distortion/nasal issues. The nd767a was designed to be a lead vocal mic like someone in this thread has already stated. And that boost in it prevents it from sounding as natural and clear as the RE27. There are also plenty of people who think the RE27 sounds different and worse than the RE20. It is why the RE20 is stil lway more popular. I haven't tried it yet though but like I said the ND767a actually sounds better than the RE27 if you have the bass enabled on the RE27. Without the bass it sounds like a ND767a but cleaner and weaker and more consistent because it doesnt have plosives, the boost, and it is more detailed, and snt nasal when off axis especially like the nd767a.

The RE320 does not reduce proximity effect like the re27 and re20.
Electro-Voice RE320 Variable-D dynamic vocal and instrument microphone
Variable-D™ pattern control minimizes positional and off-axis tonal shifts
^^^ that is not the same as this:
Electro-Voice RE20 Broadcast Announcer Microphone w/ Variable-D
Variable-D™ for minimal proximity effect

also, the re320 scoop is not good for vocals so youre stuck with its shittier bass and proximity effect.

My voice sucking has nothing to do with the overall performance of a microphone. No one will deny these traits that the mics have. I believe you are wrong, sir. Especially since you havent tried them

What's with all of this EV hating!

Like Steenamaroo suggested it's gotta be your space or your face.
Ten's of thousands of professional EV users out there can't be wrong.

there have been many MANY comments saying the re20 sounds more natural and better than the re27 for many reasons.

Well to each their own I suppose.

It still baffles me that heads of state from the POTUS down to governors and such still go with a SM57.

Well to each their own I suppose.

It still baffles me that heads of state from the POTUS down to governors and such still go with a SM57.

Well if you get a sm57 and talk less than a foot away from it without any eq it's going to sound muddy and bassy compared to the nd767a which is worlds better with no eq required. that president stuff is ridiculous reason to buy a sm57 i believe after comparing the nd767a to it. keep in mind i used a sm58 for several years not knowing anything about eq or compressors. my audio was so muddy and muffled and bassy it was a joke for youtube commentaries. when i finally learned to clean it up with all this stuff yes it did sound much better but still a little honkey. the nd767a humiliates and destroys the sm58. for real. that thing sounds amazing out of the box. Hell
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=85
Just read the description for it:
The N/D767a is the singer and engineer’s first choice for outstanding vocal clarity in live performance. With low handling noise, VOB™ technology, and excellent clarity through all frequencies, the N/D767a is the top-choice dynamic mic in its class.
Top-class vocal microphone
Multi-stage shock mount*
Dynamic, high-sensitivity neodymium element
Tight-mesh Memraflex™ grille
Condenser-like performance
VOB™ technology*
Supercardioid polar pattern

it is truley a premium mic with all this stuff. it only fails at the much more crispness of the re27 and probably re20 since i dont have mine yet. it also sounds like it has been through a compressor which is why they say its more of a lead vocal mic

you are a little confused the nd767a is the mic that has plosive/distortion/nasal issues..

It must have been all the commas that threw me.

The RE320 does not reduce proximity effect like the re27 and re20.

Fair enough; Like I say, I haven't tried the 320

Electrvoice's definition of Variable D specifically references low frequencies and proximity effect though.
Most reviews describe it as having minimised proximity effect, going on to explain that the effect is still audible, but greatly reduced when compared with standard cardioid dynamic mics.

About the general discussion, I may well be wrong, but then I said that, didn't I?

I hope you like the re20, but I doubt you will.

Keep in mind you said the re27 was a great mic and that it sounds bad on the same page.
I'm not tripping over myself here. ;)

This started as a "which mic will pick up less room noise".

What are you asking now?

Last edited:
im gonig to get a fanless power supply for my computer instead

Good idea. That should help a lot.
You should check out the cpu fan too. Sometimes they can be the main contributor.

Ethan Winer posted this a few days ago.
If you scroll down to "Noise Control" he has a picture of one way to reduce computer noise.

I don't know how effective it is, but it seems like it would certainly help.

just got the re20. i dont like it. i like re27 better. re20 sucks. lol cant believe i just said that. what a boring mic...

I have a PC that during the warmer summer months the CPU fan screams and it's been painful to use an LDC for vocals in an untreated room. I have a ND767a that works well on my voice on some songs and it doesn't pickup the CPU fan noise, so I've been recording with that. I use a pop filter and it helps maintain a consistent distance from the mic so the proximity effect is somewhat controlled. I've thought about getting an SM7B, but I'm not sure I'd hear much improvement to justify the cost (for my vocals that aren't great to begin with :o). I recently got a Sennheiser e935 and it's close to the ND767a, but sounds a bit smoother. Not sure if it's typical to use a mic intended for live performance for recording, but it seems to work for what I'm doing.

yes i def agree the thing needs a pop filter. its ridiculous how plosive it is. i wanted to try the 900 series by Sennheiser but since its like 200 dollars and i got a ND767a used for 70 i was like screw it... i was a little disappointed in the ND767a when i compared it to the re27. the re27 really does have a crisper condenser like sound when compared to the ND767a. since the sm7b has the same characteristics as a handheld ie nasal if slightly off axis bass effect less detailed etc honkey boost in its sound etc i think the re27 is good and ill prefer it over all the other dynamics. im investing in maknig my computer a little mroe quiet then ill probably get an at4040 or something. but yeah i think im done with dynamics now. ND767a is awesome. do you like the Sennheiser e935 more than the ND767a?

i ended up sellnig the nd767a on ebay for 50 bucks im wishing i kept it jsut because of how cool it is.

Last edited:
Good idea. That should help a lot.
You should check out the cpu fan too. Sometimes they can be the main contributor.

Ethan Winer posted this a few days ago.
If you scroll down to "Noise Control" he has a picture of one way to reduce computer noise.

I don't know how effective it is, but it seems like it would certainly help.
my computer has 6 cores, 12 gigs of ram, a very powerful graphcis card. im surei can lock it down so the fans dont go over 10% of their speed and never worry about overheating as long asi dont play games. i cant control the power supply fan and it's def the loudest thing in the computer when i dont play video games. i dont really play video games anymore. for audio i should be able to get away with getting rid of power supply fan jesus christ that thing is loud. ill look into cpu fan next though. all i can hear is the power supply all day every day unless i play a game.

Last edited:
Back