??Shotguns, isolation, fig-8's and maybe a 'back shield'??

mixsit

Since I'm fishing on this I think I need some guidance.
I'm doing a live recording, Blues bands (again!:D) on a small enclosed box of a stage (12'W x 8'D-ish sheetrock). Guitar and bass amps right next to the drums. I'd like to keep the kit mics down to a pair plus kick and snare. Did QTC-1's on the wall behind the drummer last year, and a pair of SD card's XY at the ceiling doubling as stereo O/H- stage-audience. It was ok, but I want to get more isolation and 'closer'.
I was wondering about a pair of shotguns, maybe xy or 'Three-Mic' style over the drummers' head? Like AT4073's? Would they likely add so much DoDo to the sound as to cancel the benifit?

Or, junping into experimental tarritory...:D
If you made a hard half-sphere (or box) shield well insulated inside, and pointed the back side of a fig-8 into it, would you get a very directional front w/o the back's sound?

I might also c/o hanging some solid-back fiberglass gobos, which might be worth the effort.

help:eek: :)
Wayne

Might be kinda intersting. I think the problem is that very few people here have experience with shotgun mics. Maybe also consider super cardiod?

danny

mixsit, humm Jazz... I'd try a MD421 on the guitar amp... ATM25 on kick... DI the bass guitar, and X/Y SM81's overheads.

Back