Shotgun Mic for VoiceOvers - Bassy

Talking about the sound in the clip? I'm not hearing too much low on the voice. Just 100-400 or so room decay.
Don't know the mic but doubting it's proximity effect problem. Too far away if anything. ( at least closer- if you picked up some proximity effect, it'll be 'drier'- and you can then low shelf 0-- to a few hundred and kill two birds with one :)
I'm guessing here -just applying what you pick up along the way you know :D

"low shelf 0-- to a few hundred" can you please explain... sorry for my noobishness :)

a few of things here are kinda going over my head, sorry :(

What is behind the mic when you're recording? The NTG3 is a super cardioid which has a small node of sensitivity projecting to the rear of the mic. Wondering if what could be picked up from behind if there is a close wall may be causing some odd phasing issues that are possible reason for a boomy/bassy sound. The wall behind the desk likely isn't helping much. Just as an experiment have you any blankets that you could hang behind the mic and behind yourself or others means to make a recording in a room that may not have as many acoustic reflections.

I think a distance of 12-14 inches was mentioned. I may be wrong in the case of this particular mic, but I don't see proximity coming into play at this distance.

Attachments

• ntg3.jpg
    ntg3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 5
What is behind the mic when you're recording? The NTG3 is a super cardioid which has a small node of sensitivity projecting to the rear of the mic. Wondering if what could be picked up from behind if there is a close wall may be causing some odd phasing issues that are possible reason for a boomy/bassy sound. The wall behind the desk likely isn't helping much. Just as an experiment have you any blankets that you could hang behind the mic and behind yourself or others means to make a recording in a room that may not have as many acoustic reflections.

I think a distance of 12-14 inches was mentioned. I may be wrong in the case of this particular mic, but I don't see proximity coming into play at this distance.
I'd be looking more at the 'big lobes all around top bottom and sides. The back's down dozens of dB :>)

"low shelf 0-- to a few hundred" can you please explain... sorry for my noobishness
a few of things here are kinda going over my head, sorry
I think someone posted a High Pass Filter earlier- 'HPF.. also know as a low cut' It starts at a chosen frequency and keeps sloping down on the freqs below. That's one option. A low shelf is similar but it's flat and lowers all the frequencies the same amount below the setting.
Either can work with slight differences in tone or results. I mentioned low shelf as you already have a low pass filter on the mic already engaged, and didn't seem to have additional real low freq issues.

He doesn't want the mic in the shot. So, at a foot or so away, the room becomes a big issue.

The fact that the room was an issue with a lav (albeit an omni) tells you that the room is simply terrible to record in.

He doesn't want the mic in the shot. So, at a foot or so away, the room becomes a big issue.

The fact that the room was an issue with a lav (albeit an omni) tells you that the room is simply terrible to record in.
Yes, but I should have been clearer.
C/o the polar plots from both. After seeing the AT's plot I looked up the OM-5 again. Sure enough.. the lowly OM-5 appears much tighter than this shotgun'. I'm sort of curious. It would seem it could do better, room rejection wise regardless of being out like that.

Although the Sennheiser MKH416 shotgun mic seems to have legendary status as a voice-over microphone, shotgun mics work better outdoors because they do seem to pick up more reverb. I have a Rode NTG-3 and have pretty much abandoned using it for voiceover in my cavernous office. I tried eliminate the reverb by using it closer, and got the boominess that you describe. I place it further away, and pick up all of the reverb.

I hate those threads where the OP runs away after initiating a conversation - Sadly I ended up being that guy - my apologies to all who offered advice, I didn't mean to not reply back - it's just work kinda took over - I went back to the Zoom H6 for most of my videos - finally I did get some time and I added bass traps to the room as suggested by some

https://twitter.com/C4ETech/status/792028183340036096

and now the audio is MUCH - MUCH better!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1dWXBl6RRk

I just wanted to come back here, apologise for disappearing and thank everyone for the help! You guys are awesome!

If anyone has the time, do check out the audio from that video I've linked to - let me know what you think about it (Processing in Adobe Audition = DeEss and Limit Male Voice Over Preset + Noise Removal)

Thanks again guys!

Ash

Back