ShootOut.fm - A Gigantic Microphone Shootout That Lets You Switch Mics in Real Time!

Adam Ben Amitai

Hi Everyone!
I’ve been working on this thing for quite some time now, and i’m excited to share it with everyone and hear what you think.

ShootOut.fm is a site that lets you easily shootout different microphones and guitar pedals. You can choose up to five mics (or pedals) at a time
and then seamlessly switch between them, while the same source material is being played through them. it also lets you switch ‘blindly’ between them,
so you can really focus on what you hear and not what you ‘think’ you hear .

Heres a short vid that shows how it works. (the vid shows the distortion pedal category but it works the same way for microphones)

currently the site features 40 microphones and around one hundred pedals in 5 categories - overdrive, delay, reverb, compressor and chorus, and I'll be adding a lot more soon.

Any feedback, requests, comments, questions, cries of disgust and/or indecent proposals are very very welcomed.

Cheers.

Seems a cool idea. Obviously, you can't get super in-depth with the gear, but it could be a good way to get a high-level overview.

So the business model is the kickback from the referral links? Any worries that people will use your system to narrow down their list of pedals, go to their local music store to actually try the gear in person, and then buy it from eBay depriving both you and the music store of your cut. :D

BtW, some of the demos don't work

The Little Big Muff/Les Paul/Slash'ing combo doesn't play anything. Here's the console output from it:
AudioPlayerView.onPlayToggleClicked() Called
player....7221907 (line 1)
AudioPlayerView.play() Called. this.usedPlayerSlots: 1
player....7221907 (line 1)
BaseApp.analytics:event:emit() Called. options: Object { category="Player", action="Audio Demo Started Playing"}
catalog...7221907 (line 1)
BaseApp.analytics:event:emit() Called. options: Object { category="Player", action="Play Toggle Clicked"}

Seems a cool idea. Obviously, you can't get super in-depth with the gear, but it could be a good way to get a high-level overview.

So the business model is the kickback from the referral links? Any worries that people will use your system to narrow down their list of pedals, go to their local music store to actually try the gear in person, and then buy it from eBay depriving both you and the music store of your cut. :D

BtW, some of the demos don't work

The Little Big Muff/Les Paul/Slash'ing combo doesn't play anything. Here's the console output from it:

Hi Thanks for letting me know i'm fixing it right away!

This is a fun site. I noticed a couple issues too. the TLM127 and UMT170s are both labeled as being $0. The SM7 is labeled as being $90. If you can find me a site selling those mics at those prices I'll take ten of each. :D Oh also I think it would be awesome if you included rack gear on the site.

you need a control clip.
You should be able to play some kind of guitar clips with no effects as a starting point.

This is a fun site. I noticed a couple issues too. the TLM127 and UMT170s are both labeled as being $0. The SM7 is labeled as being $90. If you can find me a site selling those mics at those prices I'll take ten of each. :D Oh also I think it would be awesome if you included rack gear on the site.

Hi Thanks for noticing! i fixed sm7 but i actually have no idea how much does a TLM127 and a UMT170s Cost. Maybe someone here knows?

Kinda curious how you did the microphones to get consistent takes for the vocals for each one. I've seen shootouts with mics setup in a cluster so they hear and record the same take simultaneously, but you've got a bunch too many mics demoed to do that (I think). If you explained it on the site, I missed it.

Hi mark
What we did was we made 5 or 6 clusters and that the singer sang into each cluster. so actually some of the audio files are not of the same take,
but we made sure to try and get the same feel and time for all takes.

Back