Shockmounts

Bugz McNair

I'm buying an AKG Perception 120 and it doesn't come with a shock mount, so I need to buy one separately. The only other condenser mic I have is my AT2035 and that came with a shock mount so I'm not sure what to look for as far as finding one that will fit the mic. Any thoughts?

akg sh100 is the model number for the one that fits that mic. It was on the their website, apparently they're discontinued so just google it and I'm sure you'll find somebody that has them.

Best work around is to go for a shock mount that grips the mic around the waist. (Spring loaded type).
If my memory serves me right, that was what the 120 came with but I could be wrong.
Simply measure the diameter of the mic when it arrives. I've ordered shock mounts from China and not been disappointed.
They cost about $35 in most stores in Canada.

The best shockmount is the Rycote USM.

inviss_usm_invision_empty_lge_960x600.jpg

This will hold any side-fire mic. from about 15mm up to about 55mm in diameter.

It will even hold the square-sided AKG C414!

Sells for about £60 in the UK and is technically better than mounts four or five times the price.

Best work around is to go for a shock mount that grips the mic around the waist. (Spring loaded type).
If my memory serves me right, that was what the 120 came with but I could be wrong.
Simply measure the diameter of the mic when it arrives. I've ordered shock mounts from China and not been disappointed.
They cost about $35 in most stores in Canada.

Found some here in the US on the Radio Shack web site $19 each!

Yeah, I got a cheap spring-loaded one for like $20.....works like a charm and holds several different mics!

I DIY'd mine out of PVC and hair braids. Looks cheap, but does the job. Even allows for two shock mounts to cradle the cable with the 2nd. Which makes the mic position more rigid... While still having all the benefits of a shock mount. Useful if your mics are SDC and horizontal. Because with or without wind foam/fur would change the angle of the mic without it.

I DIY'd mine out of PVC and hair braids. Looks cheap, but does the job. Even allows for two shock mounts to cradle the cable with the 2nd. Which makes the mic position more rigid... While still having all the benefits of a shock mount. Useful if your mics are SDC and horizontal. Because with or without wind foam/fur would change the angle of the mic without it.

Post a picture up here that was a way cool set up!

Back