Sennheiser - 'splain me something

Michael Jones

OK, so i finally got around to playing with my MD441.
I noticed that at the base of the mic, where the cable plugs in, there's an adaptor to adapt from what looks like a proprietary cable to an XLR.

Is this common?

In addition to that, there's a round switch at that same base, with a "M" at one end and an "S" at the other and some notches or click points in between. I assume the "M" is for Music, and the "S" is for Speech. It works fine for the "M" setting, but for the "S" setting, I find that a great deal more gain is required.

Is this typical?

The "M" setting is for recording music.

The "S" setting is for recording sh*t, which is why it isn't as audible.

The notch is for the in-between, but I guess it's relative, huh?

Just a guess, maybe? :D

The round switch at the bottom is a 5 position bass rolloff. I don't find it very useful past 2 clicks. I think that the adapter is to go from a European style connector to XLR.

Sennhieser is German. I am not absolutely postitive, but I think that is the case. Wait till you here this mic on acoustic! It is quite nice on voice too. As a matter of fact, I have had good luck with ot on everything except guitar amp so far.

It is a nice mic, enjoy it.

Beezoboy

"S" really stands for "sprechen" (speech in German).
Used for narration or voice-over primarily, due to the increased bass roll-off.
Meaning very close miking...

Chris

P.S. "M" or one click past is normal for recording vocals.

What the others said above are correct. You seem to have a Tuchel connector on your mic which is the Euro type connector and not like the export models' XLR jack. I think your model is either a -2 or a -5 type. I can't remember right off now.

Sorry I didn't see this thread until just now.

I usually have my 441's set on the first notch past der sprechen setting. It seems to go well with my voice. The proximity effect increases dramatically with each notch toward the M setting for the same given distance. It works very well on guitar cabs, piano, and acoustic guitar in the middle position or one notch towards the M position past middle. Output does decrease toward the speech setting. I don't know whether that is actual or apparent output, but I believe it's actual output.

I don't usually use the frequency boost switch on the bottom. It is set in the flat position for recording. When I used to gig, it was set in the boost position. It sounded better over the PA.

Welcome to the Best Mic Club. Use it well, share your experiences. I like mine on everything except stinky fart, which I will use the far outclassed and very inadequate SM57 for. :)

Thanks Seinheiser - Tubedude, everyone else.
I appreciate the info.
I'm just barely scratching the surface of uses for this mic.
Vocals for sure, and maybe as a room mic for the piano. It'd be nice to have a pair huh? ;)

Opportunities for using it are going to be sparse in the next few weeks. Kinda busy with the new studio right now, and my current "studio", while not out of commission, is definately in a state of organized chaos. In addition to the large piano in that room, a new drum kit is currently sharing that space.
I see now why people have dedicated drum rooms. Those things rattle and resonate worse than a rusty Ford! I can throw a blanket over it, and still record the piano, but, it's not ideal.
But that's part of my own private hell. :D

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hey I recently used the 441 to mic a pickle jar. I know this sounds weird but if you'll listen to this song, what sounds like a tabla drum (at the beginning and goes through the whole song) is actually a large pickle jar.

This mic has so much proximity that it was perfect to increase the bass resonance in the bottle to make it sound like a drum.

Give it a listen, you won't believe it was a pickle jar.

Beezoboy

OK, was that a Kosher, bread and butter, dill, or sweet pickle jar?

That was a great tune. Sounds like some sort of ethnic drum to me. If you'd have posted this in the MP3 clinic, no one would have ever guessed that it was a pickle jar percussion section. How did you ever think of trying that?

We're gonna start callin' you "Pickles":D

Back