Sennheiser MK4 versus Neumann TLM103 and the law of diminishing returns

The MK4 sounds great, good deal, good luck with it.

I still went with a 103, they stay very clear throughout the recording process. Never used a MK4 but it sounds great in that comparison.

Last edited:
The MK4 is an excellent mic. for the price - the TLM 103 is over double the price and much better.

Though, in this price area the TLM 102 (about half way between the MK4 and TLM 103) is worth considering (and many people prefer the 102 over the 103) and also the Gefell M930 is a very well regarded mic. - review here.

douche

if you cant hear a diff between the senn mk4 and neumann 103 you dont have very good ears, or decent preamps, or your source does not reveal the differences. Having had both these and trying them on just about everything, the senn is thin and harsh, which the uninitiated may hear as "clear" but its the same hyped high end scritchiness that most chinese mics have. Transients were smeared not accurate, also there was a weired resonance due to prob the body or capsule. Not worth the cost. not a better mic than most chinese in that price range by any means...as I believe the mk4 is chinese made...sure sounds like it. Its just a budget mic for those starting out that will sell it soon after they acquire the means and ear to move upwards. The TLM103 is something else, and yes worth the extra whatever difference more, but ebay prices on them are very low so you can ofter get a used 103 for not much more than the new senn (ok maybe double it). The 103 is well balanced overall, has a clear high end presence that gives a bit of focus to sources that may need it, but thru a bright cheap preamp may be too much for some. On a decent preamp not harsh at all, can be silky sounding. Transients are slightly rounded, which is nice to avoid edginess. Low end is controlled...not thin or thick...just right for most sources. The mids have good detail. I dont hear any weird dips or peaks. Overall a very good useful general studio use mic very good on most anything. Is it the best on everything? no. is is a u87? no. p.s. the even cheaper tlm102 is a smoother fatter mic, not as airy or detailed as the 103. The 102 is ok for lower end things not needing airy top...like elec guitar, etc. The senn mk4 was just useless for me. just another chinese mic. that makes the 103 worth the 700 more to me. YMMV. In your bedroom you may not be able to percieve the differences. Learning gear takes time, and money, and patience, and skill. Quik off the cuff takes often change as your skills and other gear increases. Yes its tempting to go the cheap route, but in this case there s a difference. I have had prob somewhere between 50 and 100 mics over the years so I have some perspective in comparisons.
You must be a heavy Neumann stick rider, the Senn mk4 is made by Neumann in the same factory right in Germany, your just pissy pants that a $200-$300 Mic is neck n neck with a top Mic brand. Sorry sir but your are wrong

You must be a heavy Neumann stick rider, the Senn mk4 is made by Neumann in the same factory right in Germany, your just pissy pants that a $200-$300 Mic is neck n neck with a top Mic brand. Sorry sir but your are wrong

First post and you respond to a three-year old thread?

That gains this week's necropost award.

The Sennheiser MK4 is made by Sennheiser and Neumann microphones are made by Neumann.

OK, let's put this right - Sennheiser own Neumann Berlin (Neumann's 2nd company) and Neumann microphones are made in a Neumann factory in the same complex near Hannover where Sennheiser microphones are made.

But the two are quite separate in both management and manufacture.

Yes, there is some cross pollination, but that's all.

uh sorry no 103 beats mk4

if you cant hear a diff between the senn mk4 and neumann 103 you dont have very good ears, or decent preamps, or your source does not reveal the differences. Having had both these and trying them on just about everything, the senn is thin and harsh, which the uninitiated may hear as "clear" but its the same hyped high end scritchiness that most chinese mics have. Transients were smeared not accurate, also there was a weired resonance due to prob the body or capsule. Not worth the cost. not a better mic than most chinese in that price range by any means...as I believe the mk4 is chinese made...sure sounds like it. Its just a budget mic for those starting out that will sell it soon after they acquire the means and ear to move upwards. The TLM103 is something else, and yes worth the extra whatever difference more, but ebay prices on them are very low so you can ofter get a used 103 for not much more than the new senn (ok maybe double it). The 103 is well balanced overall, has a clear high end presence that gives a bit of focus to sources that may need it, but thru a bright cheap preamp may be too much for some. On a decent preamp not harsh at all, can be silky sounding. Transients are slightly rounded, which is nice to avoid edginess. Low end is controlled...not thin or thick...just right for most sources. The mids have good detail. I dont hear any weird dips or peaks. Overall a very good useful general studio use mic very good on most anything. Is it the best on everything? no. is is a u87? no. p.s. the even cheaper tlm102 is a smoother fatter mic, not as airy or detailed as the 103. The 102 is ok for lower end things not needing airy top...like elec guitar, etc. The senn mk4 was just useless for me. just another chinese mic. that makes the 103 worth the 700 more to me. YMMV. In your bedroom you may not be able to percieve the differences. Learning gear takes time, and money, and patience, and skill. Quik off the cuff takes often change as your skills and other gear increases. Yes its tempting to go the cheap route, but in this case there s a difference. I have had prob somewhere between 50 and 100 mics over the years so I have some perspective in comparisons.
This is an older post that needs correction. The Sennheiser Mk4 is indeed made in Germany as is the capsule, electronics and optional isolating stand. If the microphone he used is useless to the author perhaps he purchased a damaged unit. The Mark 4 is essentially a Neumann designed and made microphone trying to offer a modern European alternative to the Chinese microphones he dislikes. The Sennheiser name was used to not cheapen the Neumann name. The Mk 4 is very well made, balanced and has excellent performance. The only corners cut are features. No multiple patterns, hi pass filters or -20dB pads.

uh sorry no 103 beats mk4

The information in Timhrun's post appears quite inaccurate. My Senn Mk4s are made in Germany as are the capsules and apparently built in the same factory as the Neumann mics. They are simply not Chinese made mics and are not bright. They sound very similar to the Neumann microphone. I playback my recorded music on McIntosh preamps, and amps as well as B&W 803 speakers and can assure you that the mics have a very close sonic signature. I have the Sennheiser isolation mic holders which are also German made and interchangeable with the Neumann mic holders. (Note made in Germany is stamped on the Mics and holders).

Back