Sennheiser ME40 grille repair?

rustman

Hello!
I just happened to find an old pair of Sennheiser ME40 short shotgun microphones with K6 power supply system. Both of the capsules have their metal grilles missing. Any idea how it affects the sound and are there any replacement grilles available somewhere? Haven't tried them yet. I guess they should work okay for overheads.

Cheers! Matti

P.S. Got home and tried them. The other seems to work fine and the other was dead. One wire was cut, I soldered it and it works now fine, too. Any idea about the grille?

Last edited:
Don't know about the grilles, but I assume that you are talking about the black flat mesh that sits at the end. You could get a wind sock for them and not worry about the grill? I have found some of the cheap wind socks made for pencil condencers fit the ME40 OK.

These are great mics, I own 5 K6 supplies plus 3 x ME80's 3 x ME40 and 2 x ME20 capsules, these mics are good on almost anything. The ME40 is in fact a standard cardioid pattern mic with great pick up.

Alan.

Hello!
Good to hear these mics are not rubbish. Actually, I found company Sennheiser Pro Spares. They have been very fast and kind with their replies. I have a pair of ME66's as well. Haven't found use for them yet.

The ME40 is actually very good on quite a few acoustic instruments, it is very handy when you have a singer that is playing an acoustic guitar and you can use the me40 for the guitar. A pair work well as drum overheads. I also use one on the hats.

I even used them at a live gig (3 shows different venues) last month, 3 x ME40's and 2 x ME80's plus another condenser.

Alan.

monks.jpg

Hello!
I just happened to find an old pair of Sennheiser ME40 short shotgun microphones with K6 power supply system. Both of the capsules have their metal grilles missing. Any idea how it affects the sound and are there any replacement grilles available somewhere? Haven't tried them yet. I guess they should work okay for overheads.

Cheers! Matti

P.S. Got home and tried them. The other seems to work fine and the other was dead. One wire was cut, I soldered it and it works now fine, too. Any idea about the grille?

The ME40 is *NOT* a short shotgun - it is a standard cardioid pattern.

The grill will be part of the capsule design and would be part of the damping - so you really need to get it to your local Sennheiser distributor for repair.

And - yes - they are great mics for the price.

Brilliant!
I happen to be a singing guitarist with full drum set which I like to play in my studio as well :-D
Thanks for your replies!
Matti

Got the missing parts yesterday. Fixing was easy and so far I find these quite nice. Defenitely better than my GATT MOH-7's.

Back