Sennheiser MD421 series?

<if anyone cares now>

my bookletty says:U4 has adaptor with 3/8" threads and U5 has adaptor for 5/8" x 27 G threads. N and 421-2 are avail in light grey, U4 & U5 are avail in black.

I don't know WHY on God's green green earth i made up that buggery about the DIN configuration. What the hell am I talking about? That's a load of Kangaroo spunk!

ANYWAY THE POINT IS I LOVE MY 421U5

(a small oversight, the bookletty also reads: Es ist mit einem Basseinsteller ausgestattet.)

md 421-n: tuchel connector. I'm not sure if this only ivory colored 421.

md 421-u5: 5 position bass rolloff switch. Black. A lot of dipshits think the 421 sucks based on this common mic because the dipshits don't realize there is a bass rolloff toggle on the mic.

md421-u: same as the u-5 with the cord connector rebuilt.

md421 u4: no bass rolloff, grey.

I think this nubs compliation of the 421 is fairly accurate but I am getting old and senile so no guarantees. I have several u5's at the studio and use them somewhat frequently. This old stubborn bastard still has not gotten around to listening to an MKII.

"md421 u4: no bass rolloff, grey."

I've got an md 421 u4 and it has a 5 position rolloff
And it's BLACK!
The only explanation is somebody put a wrong cover over the screw but I doubt it...it looks new.
I wish someone really knew the history of these as I have a creamy with gone grill and I'd like to find something that sounds similar.
Using it for vocals for forever....it has an "N" plus some numbers gouged into it which is prob the original numbers as the plate over screw is gone.
And it's a standard U.S. connector. The rolloff is 2 position. I guess I'll just get a creamy with 2 positions to see if the sound of my mic is just unique. In meantime I oredered $35 foam windscreen for it to protect it.

In Marin

<if anyone cares now>

my bookletty says:U4 has adaptor with 3/8" threads and U5 has adaptor for 5/8" x 27 G threads. N and 421-2 are avail in light grey, U4 & U5 are avail in black.

I don't know WHY on God's green green earth i made up that buggery about the DIN configuration. What the hell am I talking about? That's a load of Kangaroo spunk!

ANYWAY THE POINT IS I LOVE MY 421U5

(a small oversight, the bookletty also reads: Es ist mit einem Basseinsteller ausgestattet.)

"my bookletty says:U4 has adaptor with 3/8" threads"
Yes that's what my U4 has so it refers to clip attachments.
The "N" then means 2 position rolloff, and creamy probably...there I think that's it.

Praise God (or Allah, Zeus, or Mother Mary)

The "N" then means 2 position rolloff, and creamy probably...there I think that's it.

OK - let's get tghis right................

MD 421-2
Large Tuchel connector.

MD 421-N
Small DIN Tuchel connector

MD 421U
XLR connector

MD 421 U-4 and U-5
These were black and the only difference is that one had a standard 3/8" Whitworth thread and the other had a 5/8" American thread with an adaptor.

BF 521
Same as MD 421 but without roll-off switch.

MD 421 U II
Mk.II version, basically the same as the black 421U.

All 421s had the roll-off switch with the exception of the -2 version (as the connector was too large) and the Black Fire 521.

OK - let's get this right................

MD 421-2
Large Tuchel connector.

MD 421-N
Small DIN Tuchel connector

MD 421U
XLR connector

MD 421 U-4 and U-5
These were black and the only difference is that one had a standard 3/8" Whitworth thread and the other had a 5/8" American thread with an adaptor (I forget which was which).

BF 521
Same as the black MD 421U but without roll-off switch.

MD 421 U II
Mk.II version, basically the same as the black 421U.

All 421s had the roll-off switch with the exception of the -2 version (as the connector was too large) and the Black Fire 521.

OK - let's get this right................

MD 421 U-4 and U-5
These were black and the only difference is that one had a standard 3/8" Whitworth thread and the other had a 5/8" American thread with an adaptor (I forget which was which).

thanks for that john..

that explains why i had to modify the clips for my U5....

i was sittin there with all my mic stand attachments goin OMG!!! WTF is goin on here! lol....

it's worth pointing out (since this is alive again).....people post up pics of their badge on their 421 and say "mine's a U4 and it has this that and the other"

i for one have made good 421's out of two or sometimes three broken ones....so just cos is says u4 or u5 on the tin, doesn't mean that's what's inside! unless you bought it new of course.

I got a hold of a U5 a while ago, picked it out as the best one to my ears from a lineup of shitty old mics. Didn't know anything about them, and realized later I'd had the same preference in an amp sim over the SM57... Guess they did a decent job modeling the thing.

My U5 has a tiny bit of sibilance compared to some other mics I own. Not enough to ruin anything, but I think I'd be irritated with the MD421 II from what I've read here. Really couldn't imagine it having any more. For my voice it's a toss up whether I prefer this or my new e815s. It's funny though... I've never tried a Sennheiser mic that didn't sound great on my voice - even a cheapo gaming headset....

3 times resurrected?
That's gotta be a record huh?

Interesting that you preferred it in a modeller though. I like it when those things are accurate.

Yup Steena, it is the "Dynamic 421" in Guitar Rig. Really opened up the mid range nicely, I'm not very big on the "scooped" sound....

Back