Sennheiser e906

Robus

Anyone tried this mic? I picked one up to give me a new flavor for close miking guitar amps, as I've been using an SM57 for everything. From a couple of quick sessions, it does have a different sound. Looking forward to giving it a workout.

It's a really useful mic--the sound isn't all that different from the SM57 but with a bit less boost on the upper mids giving it a slightly smoother sound. The side address layout makes it nicely compact for use on small stages or in small studios.

There's a switch to add or remove boost (around 4K from memory) gives you some flexibility in customising your sound.

I think you'll likely enjoy playing wth it.

I've got an e609. Those bastards at Sennheiser need to come up with a less confusing naming convention. :mad:

Anyway, I've used the 609 a bunch for live recordings. I've had some decent results. And I like not having to use a mic stand.

I know everyone likes to just hang them off the amp/cab handle, flush against the grill...but being a hyper-cardioid, tightly focused pattern, it will actually sound better if you pull it back a couple of inches, away from the cab's pressure zone.

The 609 is kinda too dull for may taste (duller than the 906). I have two 609 mics...hate them on guitar cabs alone, but they can work well paired with a 57 or some other mic that has more upper-end presence, and the 609 will then take care of the bottom/middle.

I know everyone likes to just hang them off the amp/cab handle, flush against the grill...but being a hyper-cardioid, tightly focused pattern, it will actually sound better if you pull it back a couple of inches, away from the cab's pressure zone.

I tried this and the results were pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

Back