Sennheiser e835 VS. Shure SM58

shadow5606

Guitar Center votes for the e835 because of the slightly greater frequency response... what do you think?

I'll be doing singer/songwriter acoustic guitar gigs. Just getting started so mainly open mic night stuff. I plan to run directly out of my Taylor 314CE w/ fishman pickups to a Carvin AG1000 & I'll be running this vocal mic directly into the Carvin which has 3 channels & XLR on the 2nd channel.

The mic I use for home Recording is a Rode NT1A but I don't think this will work live.

Thanks for ANY input...

I adore the e835, own one myself. I don't own an sm58 (i kno it's a shame but stfu :p) used it several times live tough and i think it's quite similar. 58 looks cooler in my opinion :) ... maybe you should look at the price. (?) i'm sure you can't go wrong with any of these
The sm58 works better on guitars, toms, .... i think so maybe if you're not exlusivly gonna use it for vocals you should go for the 58...
greetz

shadow, IMHO the e835 sounds better (generally) for most voices than the SM58.
Keep in mind, however, that the SM58 is somewhat of a different animal than the SM57 due to its foam ball and mesh screen.
Those factors cause it to be less clear sounding than the SM57.

Chris

P.S. The e835 is said to work well on guitar cabs BTW.

The e835 was the first mic i ever owned, and i used it on vocals and guitar cabs, and even once in a kick drum (it worked great for that particular project, placed right up near the beater inside of the drum). I've got more choices now, but it still holds up as a good sounding mic for multiple applications. Great on vocals!

T

Arent the 855's the same price as the SM57? I have seen them for $100, and they are a better mic IMO. The 835 can be had 3 for $99 all over the place. Not even in the same price group as an SM57.

My friend ended up getting an E845 for live use (female vocals) after an extended comparison with a SM58 and E835. The E835 came in second and the sm58 third. She still raves on about it especially after she has to use an sm58 at some performances.

Last edited:
The singer in the band I work with switched from an SM58 wireless system to a Sennheiser E845 wireless system. The E845 having a supercardioid pattern offers greater feedback rejection in a live environment. Both are great Mics but the E845 is smooth and detailed, noticeably different from the SM58.

I am a big fan of the e835 and e845 by Sennheiser. They are a much clearer microphone, with a more flattering response on them when compared to the SM58.

I used an SM58, then bought a couple of e835's, then an e845. In a live situation I would choose the e845, then the e835 and lastly the sm58. They are a much nice sounding mic than the SM58 in my opinion.

tubedude said:
Arent the 855's the same price as the SM57? I have seen them for $100, and they are a better mic IMO. The 835 can be had 3 for $99 all over the place. Not even in the same price group as an SM57.

Where tubedude???? I always see 835's priced $99, same as the 58. I LOVE the 835. Voice, snare, kick, guitars it usually sounds good on everything I throw it on. Maybe you were thinking of the 815's.

shadow5606, set em both up and see which one works better for your voice.

Thanks,
Pat

I went with (Guitar Centers choice) the Sennheiser - I tested it out with the SM58, both were nice, didn't really notice THAT much of a difference but enough to make me choose the e835 over the Shure.
One thing is for sure, The next mic I get is a Shure SM58 wireless - yea, yeah, I know the e835's wireless has like 9more channels, and it's only $100 more, but the SM58 is a whole lot cooler looking ;) and it's NOT that much of a differance.

One guy @ Guitar Center told me the SM58 was complete garbage, but I mean - if it's good enough for; MTV, Eminem, Avril, Busta Rhymes, Bob Marley, J.Lo, LL, and just about every artist there is! then it's got to be just right for just about any amature.

tubedude said:

I think you are confusing the 815 and 835 tubedude. The 815's are 3/$99 everywhere and the 835's are $99 each or 3/$199 at most places. Of course, I would love to be wrong on this one. Post a link! Post a link! Post a link!

Pete

Kaz said:
One guy @ Guitar Center told me the SM58 was complete garbage, but I mean - if it's good enough for; MTV, Eminem, Avril, Busta Rhymes, Bob Marley, J.Lo, LL, and just about every artist there is! then it's got to be just right for just about any amature.
Avril uses sennheiser. No idea about the others. I see the shure beta mics (with the blue stripe) used a lot more on tv, rather than the regular (black and silver) sm58. Maybe I only notice the blue stripe. Not disagreeing with you about an sm58 being perfectly usable live (or perhaps even the best option depending on your voice). Most artists are probably happy to use whichever mic company is prepared to sponsor them.

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_avril_lavigne_picks/index.htm

Last edited:
The SM58 is the standard for a reason. It brings out the best for most male vocalists when you are close to the mic and really driving the sound. And people are used to hearing it, which, perhaps unfortunately, is going to make them like that type of sound just because it is familiar. I use an SM58 under very similar conditions and it has never failed me; plus, they are extremely consistent -- when I use other folks' SM58s they sound the same.

I too prefer the AKG D880, and like it better than both the Shure SM58 and Beta 58. The AKG has more presence, plus a much rounder bottom end which IMO adds depth to the voice. The D880 also has better gain before feedback and low handling noise.

Best I can suggest is to pop into a store and try out a bunch of mics to see what you like best on your voice.

As for the SM58 being the standard, I think it has more to do with the fact that it was introduced when dinosaurs still ruled the earth, and has since dominated the market. Standard does not mean better.

From what I have read, the Shures are more durable than the AKGs, but I've had no problem with mine and I have little reason to suspect that AKG mics are any less consistent than the Shures, just not as well known.

If I need to do some carpentry I'll grab an SM58. However, if I'm singing, I'll grab my D880.....

Actually, D880 is fine, but the stage mic I reach for first is D690. It's also a pretty good recording mic if you have a real good preamp-Richie

Yep, about a year ago. It was replaced by D770, which was recently discontinued. Those you can get if you look around.-for cheap.-Richie

I just bought an SM58. Nice sound, probably better for male vocals. Rock solid construction, nice heavy feel, but there's no way I'll be doing a Roger Daltrey with it. Way too dangerous...

You know, Kevin, I used to do The Who a lot. I don't know if you're old enough to remember high-Z mics with threaded adaptors. When they went to XLR, it wasn't the same! Can you say "random mic missile"? I knew you could...Richie

Back