Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sennheiser e835 VS. Shure SM58

shadow5606 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Sennheiser e835 VS. Shure SM58

Sign in to disable this ad
    Guitar Center votes for the e835 because of the slightly greater frequency response... what do you think?

I'll be doing singer/songwriter acoustic guitar gigs. Just getting started so mainly open mic night stuff. I plan to run directly out of my Taylor 314CE w/ fishman pickups to a Carvin AG1000 & I'll be running this vocal mic directly into the Carvin which has 3 channels & XLR on the 2nd channel.

The mic I use for home Recording is a Rode NT1A but I don't think this will work live.

Thanks for ANY input...
    Cliff Snyder

fazil is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    I adore the e835, own one myself. I don't own an SM58 (i kno it's a shame but stfu ) used it several times live tough and i think it's quite similar. 58 looks cooler in my opinion ... maybe you should look at the price. (?) i'm sure you can't go wrong with any of these
    The SM58 works better on guitars, toms, .... i think so maybe if you're not exlusivly gonna use it for vocals you should go for the 58...
    greetz
    Vocals are wasted time between solo's

chessparov is offline Three Thousand and Counting
    Thanks

Wink

shadow, IMHO the e835 sounds better (generally) for most voices than the SM58.
    Keep in mind, however, that the SM58 is somewhat of a different animal than the SM57 due to its foam ball and mesh screen.
    Those factors cause it to be less clear sounding than the SM57.

Chris

P.S. The e835 is said to work well on guitar cabs BTW.

teainthesahara is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    The e835 was the first mic i ever owned, and i used it on vocals and guitar cabs, and even once in a kick drum (it worked great for that particular project, placed right up near the beater inside of the drum). I've got more choices now, but it still holds up as a good sounding mic for multiple applications. Great on vocals!

T

tubedude is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    Arent the 855's the same price as the SM57? I have seen them for $100, and they are a better mic IMO. The 835 can be had 3 for $99 all over the place. Not even in the same price group as an SM57.
    Peace!
    Paul

alfalfa is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    My friend ended up getting an E845 for live use (female vocals) after an extended comparison with a SM58 and E835. The E835 came in second and the SM58 third. She still raves on about it especially after she has to use an SM58 at some performances.
    Last edited by alfalfa; 05-02-2003 at 07:35.

woodzmo is offline Gear Addict
    Thanks

Thumbs up

The singer in the band I work with switched from an SM58 wireless system to a Sennheiser E845 wireless system. The E845 having a supercardioid pattern offers greater feedback rejection in a live environment. Both are great Mics but the E845 is smooth and detailed, noticeably different from the SM58.

Neil Ogilvie is offline Still Learning.......
    Thanks
    I am a big fan of the e835 and e845 by Sennheiser. They are a much clearer microphone, with a more flattering response on them when compared to the SM58.

I used an SM58, then bought a couple of e835's, then an e845. In a live situation I would choose the e845, then the e835 and lastly the SM58. They are a much nice sounding mic than the SM58 in my opinion.

trickless is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Originally posted by tubedude
    Arent the 855's the same price as the SM57? I have seen them for $100, and they are a better mic IMO. The 835 can be had 3 for $99 all over the place. Not even in the same price group as an SM57.
    Where tubedude???? I always see 835's priced $99, same as the 58. I LOVE the 835. Voice, snare, kick, guitars it usually sounds good on everything I throw it on. Maybe you were thinking of the 815's.

shadow5606, set em both up and see which one works better for your voice.

Thanks,
    Pat

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    I went with (Guitar Centers choice) the Sennheiser - I tested it out with the SM58, both were nice, didn't really notice THAT much of a difference but enough to make me choose the e835 over the Shure.
    One thing is for sure, The next mic I get is a Shure SM58 wireless - yea, yeah, I know the e835's wireless has like 9more channels, and it's only $100 more, but the SM58 is a whole lot cooler looking and it's NOT that much of a differance.

One guy @ Guitar Center told me the SM58 was complete garbage, but I mean - if it's good enough for; MTV, Eminem, Avril, Busta Rhymes, Bob Marley, J.Lo, LL, and just about every artist there is! then it's got to be just right for just about any amature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information