Which one you consider better?!

• Sennheiser E835

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • Shure SM58

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters

Ced

Still a Newbie
I would like to know which one between Sennheiser E835 and Shure SM58 is BETTER. I heard that they are supposed to be equal as sounding.

Which one would you use as acoustic instrument recording and which one as vocal recording?!

Thanks!

Ced

The Sennheiser is quite similar sounding to the 58 but crucially has more high-end frequency response ... important for natural-sounding acoustics, cymbals, vocals and so on.

I find myself reaching for EQ much less often when I use the Sennheiser E range.

Just for reference, I've got five E845s and one E835. The only Shure I have left now is an old USA-built 545 Unidyne III (early version of SM57 but with a slightly higher bump with vocals in mind). Some of those are seven years old now. They don't get dented in the basket like a 58 does either.

It likely depends on the voice. I heard a female singer through a SM58 live and the vocals were muddy and nearly unintelligable. Mid set she switched to an e835 (not sure if e835 or e835s) and the difference was tremendous. Much more clear and made a big difference in audience reaction because it suited her voice so much better.

I'd go with the e835. Curious how it would do against an Audix OM5 or Electro Voice though(?)

I have both, but I always try to make sure the E835 is on my stand!

It works better for my wife's voice too.

HOWEVER - our bassist / main vocalist has a VERY loud voice and the 58 sounds better on him.

It really depends opn teh situation. I have at least a dozen of each mic. When I first added the Sennheisers to my stock, I really liked them. Now however I find them to be no better or worse than a 58, just a little different. What I have have noticed is that through most cheaper speakers the Sennheiser sounds a little more "full" where the 58 might emphasize on the higher frequencies too much. However, on a nicer system, the 58 actually utilizes those spots well and the Sennheisers often feels a little muffled. Once again though, it is dependent on way too many factors, which is why I did not vote.

xstatic said:
However, on a nicer system, the 58 actually utilizes those spots well and the Sennheisers often feels a little muffled.

Really? I have found the 835s to have much more top end than a 58. Hrm...

The e835 is an excellent sounding mic, but the SM58 is smoother and has a warmer midrange, which is why I prefer it. Hard to mess up with either of these mics.

if i were you i would audition both and see what you prefer but if i had to choose one it would be th e835. my suggestion is hat you try a sennheiser e840 which has the same capsule as the much more expensive e935. the e840 although a little more expensive than the sm58 and e835 sounds much better than both

Personally, my 840's sound VERY similar to the 835's. To say that the 840 sounds much better than an 835 or an sm58 sounds a little skewed to me.

I acquired an e835s from my wife's collection, it sounds good but I rarely use it, I have an e903 that I regularly use. I use it on guitar amps, and for live vocals when I perform. Pomething about it's freq response seems to suit it well to getting a really smooth crunch out of some of the tube amps I've used it on. As for the 58, I've always thought they sound good for live male vocals, but that's about it. My vote would go sennheiser on this one.

I use the proximity effect of a mike as a tool very often, and the 835 has almost none. It's easier to get a 58 excited in that regard. But overall I still like the sound of the 835 better. If I had to make a choice between the two, I'd take neither and get a Shure Beta 57a or an Audix OM3xb in that price range. But that's just me and my baritone croak. :D

I've got a couple 845s (used to have 4, but gave two away). No 58s, but a couple 57s. For vocals I vastly prefer the OM6 to all of them. Never was that thrilled with the 845 (which is why I've given a couple of them away). The Audix is clearer and smoother IMHO. I actually prefer the 57 for instruments (if I don't used SD condensers or a Beyer M201 instead) rather than the Audix or the 845.

I agree with most peoples comments on the specific characteristics of each mic. I've always been an SM57 fan because I sing loud and the extra mid range helps my voice sound fuller. I find that I sound thin on the E835 but that's just me. A better singer may have better luck with them :o)

However, it is worth mentioning the Beta 58. I use one almost exclusively for live performances and sometimes for recording. It has made me a better singer. I can hear so much more of my voice. It works so well with everything right from a whisper to a full lung scream. I use a lot of different techniques like low pitched scream-o stuff to high pitched wails to sickeningly sweet poppy voices and it handles them all evenly.

Back