Sennheiser E609 for guitar?

MadAudio ........

I was always under the impression that different speakers on the same cabinet were essentially different sources if the mics are right on the grill.

Assuming some isolation between the mics (a closed back cabinet perpendicular to the cab being mic'd has worked for me ...... with no room mic) the 3:1 rule is kind of uneccessary .... isn't it?

Also Januian, you say that you want to capture the true sound your hearing from the cabinet ....... the art of recording.

Dont forget to consider WHERE you are hearing that sound.

If you like the sound from standing 5 feet away from the cab, then putting a mic on the grill is not going to be the same ...... probably not bad, just different.

Like sile2001 said, listen through the mic ....... to expand .....if you want or need to put the mic on the grill ...... put your ear right up to the speaker (AT LOW VOLUME) ....... in fact put your ear up to all of the cab's speakers individually and you will notice that they sound different.

Pick the one(s) most suitable and and then try it.

The closer the mic is to the cone the more EXACTLY the placement will alter the sound ..... i.e. center cone vs. outside cone.

If you really like the sound of the cab in the room then consider putting a mic out in the room ....... the 3:1 rule does apply here.

I have had pretty good luck recording Mesa rigs.

Experiment.

-mike

How does the three to one rule translate when you get into inches? Its not the same is it? For every inch you need three inches to be in phase? I dont think that would work. Or does it?

Danny

Just another vote for the e609... I have an SM57 too... They're both great... jst a hair different. At that price get 1 of each. They're keepers...

MadAudio said:
*I believe this rule only applies to cardiod mics, which both the 57 and 609 are.
I believe the rule applies to all mics - especially omnis or others that pick up more off axis sound that would cause phase issues.
There's a good, concise explanation here:
http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_htm/tips/mictip6.htm

darnold said:
How does the three to one rule translate when you get into inches? Its not the same is it? For every inch you need three inches to be in phase? I dont think that would work. Or does it?

Danny
It would be the same, but note that it should read at least three inches. More than 3 to 1 is fine. And it's not to put the signals in phase, but to decrease the relative volume of the second signal by 9dB or more compared to the first, so that phase discrepancies are relativley unnoticed.

Also, I think the rule should read that one mic should be at least 3 times as far from the sound source as the other, not the distance between the mics themselves.

Well, what the hell? My mom sent me $100 for Christmas and I went to play at Guitarrgh Center looking for something $100 or less that would add to the studio's options. I've recently been building a "monster in a box", an isolation box for a guitar cab. I was drawn to the e609 because it's easier to fit in the box than a handheld dynamic. Usually on cabs I use an AKG D320B, but I only have one, and it wants to be on snare also. I've got an SM57, but it has never thrilled me as a cab mic, or for that matter, a snare mic, either, even after extensive screwing around with placement. And- no way am I putting one of my good condensers in a sealed box with a cranked up combo amp. A B.L.U.E. Kiwi? I don't think so. I've read pretty good reports on the board about the 609, so I bought the puppy for a dedicated cab mic.
I'll give you all a more thourough review when I've had more time to play with it. So far, I can see why it's easier to place. It's a supercardioid. One thing I'm pretty sure about. Whatever it is, it's not a vocal mic, unlike every other dynamic I would put on a cab or snare. I expect it will be tried in both of those roles.-Richie

Mic a bass?

Could the 609 silver be a suitable mic for a bass amp? I usually go direct when I record bass but I would like to combine the miked amp with the DIed sound.

John

While you *could* put the 609 on bass, I don't think that's what it's for. You can mic a bass with an SM57 too, but why? For bass cabs, I've had very good luck with AKG D112, which I think is a better bass cab mic than a kick mic. It was designed for mic'ing double bass. For kick, I've had my best luck with Audix D-6. What I really like is EV RE20, which I got to borrow for a while, but which I do not currently own, I think I will own one in about 3 weeks, though. Woo Hoo!
-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
While you *could* put the 609 on bass, I don't think that's what it's for. You can mic a bass with an SM57 too, but why? For bass cabs, I've had very good luck with AKG D112, which I think is a better bass cab mic than a kick mic. It was designed for mic'ing double bass. For kick, I've had my best luck with Audix D-6. What I really like is EV RE20, which I got to borrow for a while, but which I do not currently own, I think I will own one in about 3 weeks, though. Woo Hoo!
-Richie
Richie,

Thank you for the suggestions.

John

Well I took the e609 for a test drive tonight, and I weas favorably impressed. What amazes me is how a mic that sounds so bad on vox can sound so good on a cab. Every other standard dynamic cab mic is at least a usable vocal mic. It was surprisingly good on a very clean cab as well as distortion, which I wasn't expecting. It has more noticeable bass response than a 57, and not quite as much of a high mid-range presence boost. It's definitely a keeper, and one I would recommend especially for someone on a budget that hasn't been getting the sound they want with a 57. This puppy was definitely made for close-mic'ing. Placement is very non-finnicky, also. If anyone cares, it was run into an Avalon AD2022, and then to a Digi002. The Sennhiser says the Avalon rocks!-Richie

Back