SE2200A or Oktava MK319?

giopad65

Hi everybody again,
I know this thread will call for "blame on you" posts (Moresound?) ;), but I am still in the process of choosing some LDC for male (baritone-bass) voice and acoustic instruments recording, together with some live performance catching (small vocal group).
I have a Fireface 400 and a DAV BG1 pre that go into a Macbook Pro.

Many of you have nice words for the SE2200A (now discontinued: it can be found at interesting price), and also for the Oktava MK319 (either with or without mods).
I maybe have the opportunity to get myself a couple of used 319's, for a price which is less than a couple of new SE2200A's.

What do you think about? Should I go for the 319's or the 2200A's?

Thank you all for your patience and for your feedbacks. ;)

The Se2200A (still around $200. - $249.) will be good for solo up close recording of the acoustic instruments and up close recording of your voice but ..... when it comes to vocal group recording I like a pair of SDC's in an X/Y set up.

I haven't asked this question - Is this for live or studio type recording?

Hi everybody again,
I know this thread will call for "blame on you" posts (Moresound?) ;), but I am still in the process of choosing some LDC for male (baritone-bass) voice and acoustic instruments recording, together with some live performance catching (small vocal group).
I have a Fireface 400 and a DAV BG1 pre that go into a Macbook Pro.

Many of you have nice words for the SE2200A (now discontinued: it can be found at interesting price), and also for the Oktava MK319 (either with or without mods).
I maybe have the opportunity to get myself a couple of used 319's, for a price which is less than a couple of new SE2200A's.

What do you think about? Should I go for the 319's or the 2200A's?

Thank you all for your patience and for your feedbacks. ;)

Thank you for replying, Moresound.
I used to live record my vocal group using a pair of Rode M3 and a pair of MK012 (unmodified), in XY or ORTF mode. I have learned that for live ensemble recording SDC are more suited.
Nevertheless, I could happen to solo record my voice/me playing my guitar, or even some friend in a "studio like" environment (well, maybe it could be a palace room, but not in a concert scenario).
I was recently asked to record a quartet (flutes, guitar, female voice, etc.) in a studio-type situation, I'd like to have a couple of LDC at disposal.

Thank you for replying, Moresound.
I used to live record my vocal group using a pair of Rode M3 and a pair of MK012 (unmodified), in XY or ORTF mode. I have learned that for live ensemble recording SDC are more suited.
Nevertheless, I could happen to solo record my voice/me playing my guitar, or even some friend in a "studio like" environment (well, maybe it could be a palace room, but not in a concert scenario).
I was recently asked to record a quartet (flutes, guitar, female voice, etc.) in a studio-type situation, I'd like to have a couple of LDC at disposal.

If you still have those SDC's then you are half way there. -- I prefer ORTF technique myself!

With your acquaintance with the MK012 your familiar with there capturing capabilities. I have several some stock and some modded (Oktavamod) and the difference is sultrily nice.

With the MK319's again I have some stock and some modded the differences stated HERE. The body ring is the Medusa's curse.
This will be an uphill battle during mix down if it is problematic in your recordings.

I can only suggest that the Se2200A would be great for you right out of the starters gate.

If at all possible you should try and go to a store or two or three that offer these microphones for sale and give them the test drive.

Hope this helps - if not - let's take this conversation further in depth.

If you still have those SDC's then you are half way there. -- I prefer ORTF technique myself!

With your acquaintance with the MK012 your familiar with there capturing capabilities. I have several some stock and some modded (Oktavamod) and the difference is sultrily nice.

With the MK319's again I have some stock and some modded the differences stated HERE. The body ring is the Medusa's curse.
This will be an uphill battle during mix down if it is problematic in your recordings.

I can only suggest that the Se2200A would be great for you right out of the starters gate.

If at all possible you should try and go to a store or two or three that offer these microphones for sale and give them the test drive.

Hope this helps - if not - let's take this conversation further in depth.

First of all, sorry because I quoted my message instead of yours. ;)
Then: yes, I still have both M3's and 012's, and plan to use them for my ensemble live recording.
What do you exactly mean with the SE2200A being OK right out of the starters gate? ;)
I understand that body ring is an issue with the MK319. Beside that are they sonically very different? Unfortunately I haven't the chance to have both mikes available at a shop for testing...

First of all, sorry because I quoted my message instead of yours. ;)
Then: yes, I still have both M3's and 012's, and plan to use them for my ensemble live recording.
What do you exactly mean with the SE2200A being OK right out of the starters gate? ;)
I understand that body ring is an issue with the MK319. Beside that are they sonically very different? Unfortunately I haven't the chance to have both mikes available at a shop for testing...

Even in the studio SDC's in an ORTF or X/Y set up will offer your best solution with a vocal group.

The *Se2200A good right out of the starters gate* means that you will find it suitable for your needs with no modifications.

The 319 Sonically different from the 2200 or a modded 319?

Both Se and Oktava are hand built guess it would just come down to personal preference and trial and error to choose what is best for you.

I tend to go with a LDC that offers three polar positions for that three in one microphone option. ;)

Well it is $400. but your purchasing for the future.
For me a multi pattern microphone comes in very handy but for you it may not have to be an option.

Back