Se2000

ifpo238

I ordered my Aardvark Q10 from Bayview Pro Audio because it came w/ a free SE Electronics SE 2000 mic. I'm not familiar with this mic.

Is it any good? Right now, all I have is a Shure SM57 and an SM58, so I'd like to put this new mic to use if I can...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!

-j

It is one of the cheapest Chinese large condensers similar to the Marshall 2001 or the Nady Scum900. If you only own dynamic mics it will probably hold your interest for a while but it's not exactly a great example of a large diaphram condenser. You will find it has a lot more output than a dynamic mic and more top end which may initially make you think is sounds better than your SM57 on everything.

For someone who wants a large condenser it's probably worth it to spend a bit more for something like a Studio Projects C1 or a Marshall V67 which are much better mics. However for free I think you will find uses for it, at the very least you will get some kind of idea what a condenser sounds like compared to a dynamic mic which is a worthy lesson in itself.

I've never used a large condenser, so it should be fun to play with. As I understand from Dragon's article, large diaphram condenser mics are the most sensitive (and, thus, best sounding?) of the microphones that don't require selling a family member to afford...

If this one is cheap, though, for what applications, if any, would it be more appropriate than, say, the Shure dynamics? I have a pretty wimpy voice, so I have been looking forward to cashing in on the proximity effect of the SM58. (I'm using "real equipment" for the first time; my previous experience has been with - gasp - a $12 Wal-Mart computer mic and the crappy sound card that came pre-installed in my computer. I've been collecting equipment, and plan to buy the computer that will serve as my DAW next week. Happy me!)

I'll have the following in my studio:

SM57
SM58
Roland XP-30 Keyboard, w/ cheap Roland monitors
Epiphone LP Extreme guitar (got it for $250 because it was ugly)
smallish Peavey practice amp (50 watt, maybe?)
Montana (cheap) acoustic guitar
my voice

DAW:
1.4 GHz Athlon, 768 MB RAM, 2x40GB 7200 RPM Maxtor drives
Aardvark Q10

Don't have studio monitors yet, and I'm hoping to scrape by with the smallish Roland monitors until I can afford some Event 20/20s or something. But that's off-topic. Hopefully, I've given you some idea of what I'll be trying to record. What would you use the SE2000 to record in my shoes? Or would you at all?

Thanks so much for your help! This community really rocks!

-j

ifpo238 said:
I've never used a large condenser, so it should be fun to play with. As I understand from Dragon's article, large diaphram condenser mics are the most sensitive (and, thus, best sounding?) of the microphones that don't require selling a family member to afford...
Uhhh, which "Dragon's article" was this, that said "large diaphragm condenser mics are the most sensitive (and, thus, best sounding)"? While it's true that a larger diaphragm size will produce more output, assuming everything else is equal, it's not true that this automatically makes it "best sounding".

No, condensers are not better because they are more sensitive, they are better for some things and some situations. Think of it this way, is a small screwdriver a better tool than a big screwdriver?

I would suggest you try it on all sorts of things and learn what it sounds like. Usually small diaphram condesers are used on acoustic guitar but you may find the extra top end and speed of the SE2000 compared to your dynamic mics to be an improvement on that.

For your vocal the condenser may or may not be better, I can tell you it certainly will be different.

On electric guitar you might want to try a 57 up close and the SE2000 a few feet further back to catch some space or even in a corner of the room to capture some real reverb, record them to seperate tracks and then mix the two in whatever amounts sound good.

ifpo238 said:
Sorry. I wasn't clear. The article is at http://www.homerecording.com/mics.html Dragon doesn't say best sounding. I was asking. I guess I should've actually asked instead of just throwing in that question mark...

-j
Dragon's excellent article is a quick intro to mics that doesn't really go into a lot detail, but it's perfect for what it's supposed to do. There are several threads here that will give you a lot more information about mics, how they work, and how to use them.

Back