se1a, mk012, at pro37... decisions decisions

treymonfauntre

Magic Bag Of Sounds
i hate making threads like these since it usually just ends up being lots of speculation and not a lot of first hand experience, but i'll throw some gas on the fire.

i'm looking for a pair of SDCs for live recordings and demos/eps of indie rock or punk music. i am very tired of the harsh high end of my MXL 990/991 combination that i bought on a whim a year ago and have tried my damdest to make sound good ever since.

so lately i've been looking at the audio technica pro37s, oktava mc012s, se electronics se1a, etc. price range of under $500 for a pair, preferrably around 300/350. very much preferrably something i can get from americanmusical.com so i can add it on to an order i'm about to make and use their 5 month easy payment option :) i've always had my eye on the oktavas, it just seems like a shitstorm tracking down a pair without getting ripped off or chinese copies or shoddy quality control, you know?

I've owned the pro37's and Oktava MK012's - and both are quite good. They are different though... the pro37's are brighter and I like using mine as a bottom snare and tom mic. The Oktava's are darker and I like them as overheads. Both do all acoustic work well, and have different flavours...

Hope I helped.

Jacob

also own the 37's and the o12's

the oktavas are more often useful in my experience, but the bump in the hi-mids of the 37r's can really sound good when needed.
(the 37r's are very "dry" sounding, does that make any sense?)

i won't probably ever sell either, but i use the oktavas way more.

Get the MC012's and have them modified they sound awesome clean clear nice balance just make sure you dont get chinese ripoffs they dont mod and stock they sound lousy

Back