Scarlett 2i2 Studio Bundle

Having read the deal, I'd be a bit suspicious.

The Scarlett 2i2 is a popular interface so no problem there.

However, Scarlett is NOT known for microphones and I'd want to hear how that one sounds before committing to it.

Also, Ableton Live Lite is essentially given away free with a good many interfaces--it's strength (if it has one) is as a MIDI sequencer but it certainly wouldn't be on my short list if I want to record actual microphones.

For fairly similar money, you could have the 2i2 for about $150, an AT2020 mic for about $75, Reaper for about $60 and Sennheiser HD201 headphones. You'll have to throw in a mic cable from somewhere--and in any set up you'd need to buy a mic stand, pop shield etc. anyway.

The mic looks like a rebranded chinese knock-off. There are many on the market and most are quite usable. But without knowing exactly which chinese knock-off it is, you don't have any kind of review or collective experience. Still, I'm sure you can get it to work.

The headphones bother me only because there is a larger probability of variation. Without knowing what they are, you don't know what you're getting. Sound could go from flat (which is what you want) to hyped bass (which is what you don't want). A good test would be if you play music from your iphone on them and they sound awesome, then they are not what you want for recording. I won't go into the headphones vs monitors debate.

I think as a starting point, it will work. If you bought the items separately, you spend maybe 20% more... but you would have more control over what you're buying. A starting point, because as you get more into recording, you will realize where you need to improve and you will be buying more things. Slippery slope and all that.

I have the 2i2 and it sounds good. The only thing about it I don't like is it doesn't have a "blend" knob for balancing playback with recorded channels. The workaround for that is to adjust playback level in software.

Thank you both so much for your responses. I appreciate your help, especially since I am so new to all of this and excited, I am very susceptible to purchasing "good deals" without considering the quality of the actual product.

It sounds like I will just get the Scarlett 2i2 interface by itself. My question, I have a CAD U37 mic. That is just a USB mic, so it will be useless with the interface, right? Any good recommendations for a high quality but inexpensive recording mic? I have a pop filter, microphone arm, and a shock mount that I bought along with the CAD. I have been pleased with the CAD U37, just wish that I could use it with the interface. I don't think it has an XLR input?

Thanks all!

My wife bought me that bundle a year ago - Xmas I think. I already had a Scarlett 6in but she'd forgotten about it. I quickly upgraded the bundle with, as Bobbsy suggests, an AT2020 mic I use Reaper & the Scarlett likes it, and I already had a pair of Sennheisers. Now I have a quite useful back up/portable rig. the Scarlett mic is only OK - mine had some probs and had to be replaced - self noise issues - and the 2i2 only runs on W7 or better so I'll not be using it on my recording comp as that's happily isolated with a tweaked/optimised XP. The software DAW - skip it and trial then buy Reaper.
I wouldn't say the phones are hyped but they def. aren't accurate. I have several pairs of cans that better match my monitors.

Bobbsy -- You have been such a great help, and so me asking this question might be a bit redundant since I posted it on my other thread post that you commented on.
But I am planning to find a Sennheiser e835 or e935 for my live jazz vocals. Do you think this mic could double as a viable recording mic when plugged into the Focusrite 2i2 interface?

Thank you!

Bobbsy -- You have been such a great help, and so me asking this question might be a bit redundant since I posted it on my other thread post that you commented on.
But I am planning to find a Sennheiser e835 or e935 for my live jazz vocals. Do you think this mic could double as a viable recording mic when plugged into the Focusrite 2i2 interface?

Thank you!

Simple answer: yes, it's at least worth a try, particularly the e935 which is a lovely sounding mic. As you need a mic for live anyway, buy that one first and give it a try. You lose nothing if you decide you want a different mic for recording (since you're buying for live anyway) and you might just decide it give you the sound you want.

I hesitate to post this but here's a board recording of a live show I mixed about six weeks ago. The solo singer in this is using an e835 radio mic version. I stress that this is just the output of the mixer with no additional processing but it might give you an idea of the 835 sound. The 935 is similar but better. https://app.box.com/s/tg0bnquezx0x913w2u6vffidyf692bpv

e935 mic owner here as well and I can attest to it having a good quality of sound. At some point I did use it for some vocal recordings as a comparison to some other dynamic mics I have and it sounded good.
One other dynamic mic I have that sounds excellent is a Miktek PM9 that I got used from ebay.

Back