Said goodbye to all my sm57's

I am not familiar with the EV N/D 308. The Electro-Voice site does not list it under their N/Dym series. Just one word in favor of the SM57. You could drive nails with it and it would still work fine.

After 5 years of using the 57 in various roles, I eliminated them from my inventory. To my ear, the EV N/D 308 does everything the 57 can do but better. Easier to position, sounds not a little better but MUCH better (IMO) and can be found all day long under $100 each. I initially bought half a dozen of them to replace my fragile and cumbersome Senn 421's for horns. After many, many gigs, I just can't find a use for 57's anymore. They went bye bye. Think I might pick up about four more of these little EV's.

I have one 57.
I bought it after years of recommendation and avoidance.
I use it but I don't prefer it. I have all sorts of cheapies that I prefer but I have a lousy ear and a natural tendency to go against the grain.
It's renown for durability is unimportant in my going nowhere set up.
It's sound is less than stellar as remarked but even it's most ardent fans.
Being that I'm a stay at home player/recordist on a tight budget I can afford to have one (used ebay jobbie) and use it where it works best for me & not where it doesn't.
I wouldn't toss it though.
I've only tossed one mic - a Tandy/Realistic Hiball from about 86. I did all my initial 5 years of recording with it & gave it away when I upgraded. Except the upgrades weren't that flash & didn't suit my porta studio set up as well as the hiball. I miss it!

I am not familiar with the EV N/D 308. The Electro-Voice site does not list it under their N/Dym series. Just one word in favor of the SM57. You could drive nails with it and it would still work fine.

It is a discontinued but easily found mic. They replaced it with the 408/468.

After 5 years of using the 57 in various roles, I eliminated them from my inventory. To my ear, the EV N/D 308 does everything the 57 can do but better. Easier to position, sounds not a little better but MUCH better (IMO) and can be found all day long under $100 each. I initially bought half a dozen of them to replace my fragile and cumbersome Senn 421's for horns. After many, many gigs, I just can't find a use for 57's anymore. They went bye bye. Think I might pick up about four more of these little EV's.

Interesting, I'm going to pick one up and try it out. Thanks

Back