S/PDIF ?

Let's see...my memory tells me it stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interface, but I could be wrong. What it does is transfer digital data from one device to another, without going through anything analog - it's a type of input/output on some devices. What it doesn't do is lightpipe, which transfers multiple tracks at a time from one device to another.

So, do I get a prize? Or did I get it all wrong?

Yeah Dobro, it stands for Sony/Phillips Digital Interface. It looks just like an RCA jack. I have been told by some to only use S/PDIF cables and others have told me that 75ohm RCA cable is okay, although I have never tried it.
It transfers digital audio in stereo (I think it also transfers disc data, i.e. a CD's TOC or track numbers, track timing, etc.) with just one cable.

Lightpipe and T/DIF (TASCAM Digital Interface) look like computer cables and tranfer digital audio in multiple track formats. ADATs use lightpipe and TASCAM's DTRS (DA-88, 38) use the TDIF. They both do the same thing, but are not interchangable. They do make TDIF to Lightpipe converters (and vice versa) though.
But nobody asked about that. I am rambling for no good reason ----

Brad

Well- there's both optical and electrical versions of S/PDIF and they use different cables/connectors. The protocol covers how the digital data is organized during transmission. Both the 75 ohm RCA cable and the dedicated S/PDIF cables will work for the non-optical (coaxial) variety.

Was the optical digital protocol developed by Sony/Phillips also? I always thought that S/PDIF was kind of their answer to the optical (looks kind of like a phone jack, right?) option.

And doc, have you used both optical and electrical? If so, do you favor one over the other? I have only used electrical but I will try optical if the word is good...

Brad

Just adding:

There are pretty cheap converters that will go from optical S/PDIF to coaxial S/PDIF or the other way around. Fostex has one called COP-1 and Audio-Technica also makes one. If you've got machines with different connectors, these might come in handy.

mm

Brad- I've tried both and (no surprise, since they're both digital) can't tell the difference. The optical was from a SONY CD player ($149!!) to a TASCAM CDRW-5000 which accepts both flavors of S/PDIF and AES/EBU input which, as far as I know is the same thing redesigned to accomodate longer cable runs. But you gotta love the solid feel of the XLR connectors on the AES/EBU type of connection versus those RCA jacks that my cats can pull out with no problem even if you don't need the longer cable run.

Back