Rode NTK vs. Rode NT5 Matched Pair for recording an acoustic guitar.

pisces7378

I have recently posted about buying a pair of Rode NT5s for recording a sweet sounding acoustic guitar. It seems like these NT5s are good at capturing acoustic guitars for the $$$.

Now, speaking of Money... I already have the Rode NTK and I was just wondering how DRAMATIC the difference would be if I did have the NT5s. I have recorded the acoustic with the NTK already before and it sounds AWESOME compared to just using a Dean Markley cheap pop in pickup through a POD Line 6. But I have fond dreams of one day having enough money to experiment with differnt mics and miking techniques. One of which being a matched pair of cond. mics pointed 90 degrees from each other at a acoust. guitar. But at the moment I am not so rich. Do you guy think that the sound quality for this application warrants me spending $300 for the Rode NT5s when I already have a Rode NTK Large Diaphram Condensor Tube Mic?

I have never used the NT5s, so I can't vouch for their quality, but I can vouch for the fact that you will want a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensors, especially if you're going to record a lot of acoustic guitar. Mono recording of acoustic guitar is great in some songs, but stereo recording acoustic guitar can be magical! So, I cast my vote for "Get the damn mics." And it's not as if you'll be buying a pair of SD condensors just so you can record acoustic. You'll need them for drum overheads, percussion, piano, and almost any stringed instrument.

Also, If you don't end up getting the NT5s, there's always the MXL 603 or Oktava MC 012.

Back