Rode NTK vs Neumann TLM103 vs MXL V69M vs MXL V67G

John Mayes

Ok So I had a guy come in to record some vocals for a CD track that was already recorded. He has a tenor voice and is a well controled singer. I tested out his vocals on all 4 mics and here were the results:

Neumann TLM103:

Crisp and Clear, but well rounded. Not a lot of Bass, but ok warmth.

Rode NTK:

VERY similar to the TLM103 but slight bit more bass response the key word being slight. That slight bit really helped things out with this particular singer though. It was very crisp, clear and quiet.

MXL V67G:

For this singer it was to looser of the bunch (although admiditly out priced by a large margin) It was too tinny sounding for his voice and sounded somewhat distant. I have used it with luck on bass singers voiced though and I suspect that is a better match as the two complement each other. It was fairly neutral, with even bass response but just sounded...well cheap for a lack of better terms. I say all this only in context to this particular singer however, and not as a genral bash on this Mic.

MXL V69M:

The warmest sound of the bunch and it would have been the choice if it had not been for when the singer really belted it out it lost a little bit of detail. I think it if would have been a softer song then this would have been the choice. It was warm, bordering on darker sounding, but still had a open top end but lacked some defintion on the mids. All in all a great mic worth every penny.

So we went with the Rode NTK after testing out all 4 mics and the track came out nice. I would reccomend the NTK, 103, and V69M to anyone for many circumstances, but the V67G I would say should be left for people with bigger boomier voices that are not in need of added presence.

John Mayes said:
the V67G I would say should be left for people with bigger boomier voices that are not in need of added presence.

I have found it to be quite useful on dog farts, myself.

As a proud owner of an NTK, and not a dog owner, I rather liked this thread. :) Especially since I passed on the TLM 103 that I always thought I was gonna get, and bought the NTK instead.
RD

indeed! It is a nice mic. Not as Detailed as the neumann or the Rode but a fine mic no less. the V67G is not near the caliber if the V69 I think...but thatis just me...I want to try out the V77...

John Mayes said:
indeed! It is a nice mic. Not as Detailed as the neumann or the Rode but a fine mic no less. the V67G is not near the caliber if the V69 I think...but thatis just me...I want to try out the V77...

John, you do that and you will not regret it! I have a Neumann M149, so I compared the V69 and the V77 to it.

The 69 is a nice mic but IMHO the 77 comes very close to the Neumann sound.

The 69 is a bit hyped, the 77 is a very nice and natural sounding mic. I know it's more expensive, I guess double the price of a 69, but compared to a Neumann it's very cheap.

Tell them your friend got the package for $305 a few months ago!
(Me). They should give it to you for that. If anyone is wanting to buy a v77 from 8thstreet.com. It's a great microphone.
For some reason they raised the price.
-DAN

I just tried the MXV69..paid 299.00..I put it up against my 4060{a pair of Grace 101's}
The 4060 won{on this vocalist/male tenor} but..I gotta say Its a hell of a mic for 300 bucks!For me on this ocasion it tended to "thin"out quite a bit when the singer belted..where the 4060 did not..I will prob. use it on a ballad with a 1272 where he stays put{level}..I can hear how that combo would have a very cool tonal quality..Anyway cool mic value!I gotta check out this V77

Don

Last edited:
I found the exact same thing! It did kind of putz out at higher levels, but for softer/average stuff it will be a great mic...

Back