Rode NTK vs. AT4033

Rylick

Hello! I am looking for a microphone that would be great for voice overs. I currently have the opportunity to buy one of three microphones at an unbelievable price. I wanted to take advantage of this while I can. Both the NTK and the at4033 are what I am looking at. The NTK would be little bit cheaper than the at4033. I can also buy the nt2000 at a lesser price, but have decided to stick to the other two (unless convinced otherwise). The microphone will be plugged into a USB audio interface, for the time being. I also have decebt control over the room acoustics. Both are coming from an authorized retailer and will qualify for there manufacturer's warranty. Really, I'm just looking for a very reliable microphone that is somewhat neutral that I can keep for a long time. Both my wife and I will be using it and our sound signatures are quite different. So, I'm hoping for a mic that will be quite versatile as well. Any input would be quite appreciated!

Rylick

P.S. I tried looking for a thread that had something like this already in discussion. However, I didn't feel I was successful in that pursuit. I had also lost my first attempt at this post yesterday. I apologize if I missed a thread that was already talking about this. I'm kind of new to this sort of thing. :P

All 3 are great mics. It will come down to personal choice.

The Rode NTK is a valve mic if that is what you are after?

The AT4033 is an excellent mic in its own right, an industry standard.

However just throwing a vote for the under dog the NT2000, this mic has multi pattern options which the other 2 don't so this may be a consideration. The NT2000 has a similar build to the K2 rode (multi pattern version of the NTK) except it does not have the valve. How much cheaper than the others is it?

Now I don't own any of the models mentioned, but I do own several Rode mics including the NT1000 (single pattern version of the NT2000) and several AT mics which I also like.

However it can only come down to personal choice, sorry to confuse you more but it was only going to happen with a which mic post.

Alan

I don't have the AT4033, but have two other AT mics, and the Rode NTK flatters my voice more than the others. If you are using it for VO with just your own voice, then I would go with the NTK. Tube mics need to warm up before use, but I doubt that this is as much as issue as some claim (i.e., warming it up for 30 minutes prior to use seems unrealistic to me). I hate some of the AT shock mounts that hold the microphone between two rubber bands.

Haven't tried the NTK but the Rode NT1-A is my favorite mic. I record all vocals and acoustic instruments with it. Here's something that was live-tracked with an NT1-A:
Sylvi by Aki Laakso | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I haven't tried the AT4033 but have used an AT2020 a lot. Obviously cheaper than an NT1-A and doesn't sound as nice but is good value for money.

I've used both the AT4033 and the Rode NTK. I usually record vocals rather then voice over, but I like doing voice over with a nice fat mic. Therefore I think the NTK tube mic would probably do a better job. Although AT makes some really great mics, I've always found the 4033 to be dull and lacking in character. I would probably throw up an AT2020 for voice over before an AT4033.

Thank you all for your votes and information. It really helps. My initial knee jerk reaction was to buy the NTK. However, I was somewhat concerned when came across quite a few negative reviews about rode microphones. I was worried that the build quality or whatever were not up to par with other companies.

I will be making the purchase in the next two weeks, hopefully. I'm going to be looking around for a place that will allow me to try them out. Im going to continue searching for a place that will allow me to audition the two microphones.

Thank you AkiLaakso for the SoundCloud file. Thank you everybody else for your valuable input. Feel free to continue to cast your votes. I will be sure to post what I end up purchasing and my reactions to it.

- Rylick

Negative reviews about Rode microphones? Was that on gearsluts? LOL.

You will find many more positive reviews.

Alan

I own several higher end tube mics as well as the AT4033. I would never choose the 4033 as a V.O. mic. As a great utility mic for many many other sources it is golden. There's not many drum kit overheads better than the 4033 and the list of it's use goes on. Don't misunderstand my review of it...I love this mic...but it's not particularly voiced for a voice let alone spoken word.

As for the earlier statement about "warming up the tube mic" a half an hour is maybe not enough in most cases.......

As for the Rode quality...There shouldn't be a question. It's an excellent mic line.

Back