Rode Nt5 Or Octava Mk012

brownshoes77

Hey guys,

i just bought 3 57s and a beta52 for my snare/toms/bass but now i need overheads. my friend offered me two Octava mk012s for 100 bucks, which is a good deal since they are normally 100 each, but i've heard great things about Rode nt5s for overheads, and recorded great sounding stuff with them, however i recorded once with the mk012s as overheads and i thought they sounded great too, but i'm not that knowledgeable and i havent been recording long. should i wait til i have the 400 dollars for the rodes or should i just get the octavas?

thanks for your time!

... i would get the oktava's, especially if they are matched well enough to operate as a stereo pair. if they are close i would grab them at $100. hope my 2 cents helps.
good luck - jv

brownshoes77 said:
Hey guys,

i just bought 3 57s and a beta52 for my snare/toms/bass but now i need overheads. my friend offered me two Octava mk012s for 100 bucks, which is a good deal since they are normally 100 each, but i've heard great things about Rode nt5s for overheads, and recorded great sounding stuff with them, however i recorded once with the mk012s as overheads and i thought they sounded great too, but i'm not that knowledgeable and i havent been recording long. should i wait til i have the 400 dollars for the rodes or should i just get the octavas?

thanks for your time!

Get the oktavas, they make fine overheads, when you have enough money and if you decide to upgrade the oktavas will easily fetch $180 on ebay.

Alternatively send me your friends email address I'll give him $120 :p

That's a deal on the Oktavas, I would personally take the SP C4's over the Rode NT5's since they're about the same price and you get extra capsules. Those mics are pretty similar in sound and both sound nice on overheads etc.

War

I am expecting from Kenn a pair of Octava, and I have read and listenned a lot about this mic, and I have to say, it seems more versatile then the Rode. I do orchestral, choirs, drums, and the octava were my best bang for the bucks (250$ for a matched pair but not from the soundroom)

Personally, I prefer Studio Projects C-4's to NT-5. The 2 Oktavas at that price, however, are a no-brainer. Just do it.-Richie

Back