Rode NT1A

Neilee 55

Hi
I'm new to home recording so I decided to by myself a Rode NT1 A condenser microphone as they are the best type for what I want to record, in my price range.
I didn't know that know my digital recorder ( Tascam DP01) doesn't have a Phantom power facility on it, and the microphone needs it. My question is what type of phantom power unit would be best for the microphone as the instruction booklet is a little ambiguous stating 24V and 48 V ?
many thanks in advance for your help

Well, my first thought would be to exchange that mic for a dynamic for now. What is it you are recording?

But, failing that, buy what you can afford at the low end of the price range, with an eye of maybe upgrading the DP01 to something that supplies phantom power someday, would be my recommendation.

Phantom power supplies for sale @ B&H (link)

I had bought a used DP01 a few years back and it included a Behringer PS400 Phantom Power Supply PS400 B&H Photo Video . It powered mics well. The NT1-A will be OK with the 48V.

If you have the DP01 and not the DP01-FX, it has 'unbalanced' 1/4" input jacks. It's been a while, but I think I recall using an XLR to 1/4" TS cable which 'unbalanced' the connection to the DP01.
Amazon.com: Hosa PXF-105 XLR3F to 1/4 inch TS Unbalanced Interconnect Cable, 5 feet: Musical Instruments

If you're lucky to have the DP01-FX just a normal XLR to XLR cable can be used.

Thank you Mark
sadly I only have the DP01 not the DP01 FX which has the inbuilt phantom power supply. I've been singing through a Sure SM58 for years, although when recorded sounds a bit ropey ( I don't think its just my voice)so I am keen to try a condenser mic and hear what happens. I'll try the 48V Behringer
Many Thanks

Had you been using the SM58 with the DP01? The preamps in the DP01 don't have a lot of gain and the SM58 doesn't give much in the way of output. I just gave my old DP01 a try to ensure the cable I suggested would work OK as I had remembered and with a condenser mic it worked, but the gain still needed to be pushed up quite a bit.
I think I ended up using a small mixer with the DP01 as it had the needed phantom plus a bit more gain in the preamps. (Note: If you do ever consider a small mixer, some don't have a full 48v for phantom, typically 15vdc or so)

Hi
I'm new to home recording so I decided to by myself a Rode NT1 A condenser microphone as they are the best type for what I want to record, in my price range.
I didn't know that know my digital recorder ( Tascam DP01) doesn't have a Phantom power facility on it, and the microphone needs it. My question is what type of phantom power unit would be best for the microphone as the instruction booklet is a little ambiguous stating 24V and 48 V ?
many thanks in advance for your help

You made a great choice for getting this mic! It has great reviews and although I am a big SM 58 fan, I think you are going to just love it.

Had you been using the SM58 with the DP01? The preamps in the DP01 don't have a lot of gain and the SM58 doesn't give much in the way of output. I just gave my old DP01 a try to ensure the cable I suggested would work OK as I had remembered and with a condenser mic it worked, but the gain still needed to be pushed up quite a bit.
I think I ended up using a small mixer with the DP01 as it had the needed phantom plus a bit more gain in the preamps. (Note: If you do ever consider a small mixer, some don't have a full 48v for phantom, typically 15vdc or so)

I like your suggestion for getting a small mixer instead of just a phantom power supply. The Alesis MultiMix 4 USB FX would work very well in the OPs situation. 48 v Phantom Power plus the ability to record into your computer is a good thing. The pre amps are great and it would have enough gain to power their SM 58 as well.

Alesis MultiMix 4 USB FX 4-Channel Mixer with Effects & USB Audio Interface.

I like your suggestion for getting a small mixer instead of just a phantom power supply. The Alesis MultiMix 4 USB FX would work very well in the OPs situation. 48 v Phantom Power plus the ability to record into your computer is a good thing. The pre amps are great and it would have enough gain to power their SM 58 as well.

Alesis MultiMix 4 USB FX 4-Channel Mixer with Effects & USB Audio Interface.
The USB mixer is even a better thought. Back when I was using the DP01 there was no good way to export/transfer tracks or mixes to a computer. A USB mixer would facilitate this as well as a having a few other benefits.

The problem with the nt1a is it has a bad frequency response. the lumps from 2 to 5 khz will give you a nasty throaty coloration. you can find better voiced mics for the price. theres lots of good cheap condensers. if you go the dynamic route youre going to have to get a high gain preamp. i dont know of many 75db 100 dollar interfaces that supply 75dbs of gain so enjoy your hisss. the mxl990 has a cleaner frequency response than a re20 or sm7b. if you want a flat mic get that. id personalyl prefer the rode black nt1 over the nt1a. black nt1 sounds like a LDC version of the at2020 tho lol. rode nt2a rivals mics like tlm 103 at a fraction of the price if you just paid a bit more man.

0376.png

I will start with 'no offense'.

But who gives a shit about the frequency response curves of a mic? I just doesn't matter. It really does not fucking matter at all in the real world.

What does matter is how any certain/particular mic works for any certain/particular given source in the environment it is used in.

One mic does not work for all instruments or voice. Sometimes one mic may work for one instrument/voice and not for another. In rare occasions, a mic that would not be the first choice is the one that works.

Combine this with the quality of the room that whatever source is recorded in? Every user has a shit ton of variables that can not be defined by a simple 'frequency response' of a microphone.

That is not the way to judge a microphone.

Sorry Nubprupt, but in my opinion you should be way more clear here.

Anyone who mentions MXL990, NT1a or NT1 in comparison to RE20 or SM7b in the same sentence, should likely explain in detail what the differences are. It surely takes more than one post.

Again; I started with the 'no offense'.

:)

And I feel I need to add that it doesn't take a preamp with 75db gain to make use of a dynamic as you stated. That is just not true. Unless you record crickets whispering in the night...

The conversation of what is actually needed for any given source needs to be addressed here. The last thing we want is for new members without experience to have false information.

Assuming the OP already HAS the NT1a, I too like the idea of a mixer. This is not usually the best option, an AI is, but in this case the flexibility afforded by a mixer could be useful.

The latest generation of small Soundcraft mixers get a good rep'. They are also 24bit devices and thus way better than the original 16 bit jobbies which were often noisy.

No, you do not need 75dB even for speech recording with a 57/58. Unlikely even with a 4038 ribbon! (if the 'suggestor' is recording to PC then I reckon he is 'stuck' in a tape mindset and crowding 0dBFS!)

This,
Notepad-8FX | Soundcraft - Professional Audio Mixers ....has a useful High Z input.
Dave.

Last edited:
Back