Rode NT1000 - proper distance, gain/phantom

Pinky

and The Brain...
This Rode is likely overkill for the mediocre vocals I end up recording on my own stuff, but it was on steep discount at Sweetwater (and included a mount/pop filter bundled) so I snagged it knowing it would be, for me, a 'one in a lifetime' mic purchase.

Anyway, I've managed only one song so far since I bought it. It came out okay, but I went with the theory that staying away from the mic and having the gain cranked (using phantom power) was the best strategy. But now I'm seeking to get a second opinion from the community. There's a lot of very generic mic placement videos out there, so I was hoping for advice from actual comparable mic owners. It should also be said I'm not exactly a novice, but I guess in time I've learned that asking for input can't hurt and often I get surprised by the useful feedback.

Rode NT1000 | Sweetwater.com

My friend Mike likes to stand about a foot away - I tend to go around 4-6 inches when we use his NT2A. Closer sounds louder (obviously) in the mix but tends to pic up more lip smacking.

Distance affects tone. Closer will give you more bass and low-mid response. It will also require less gain which will reduce room sound. Farther will give you less bass and low-mid response and require more gain picking up more room sound.

Don't expect specific positioning advice to be 100% applicable to your voice. Experiment with distance and aiming (of your mouth relative to the mic and of the mic relative to your mouth) to find what works for you and your music.

I use the nt1000 for voc often, even my own. About 6" away if singing loud Rock voc, about 4" if intimate vocal. I use a pop shield always. This mic has a lot of gain and does not have a pad so pad at the preamp, you will not cause the actual mic to distort with any voc take my word for that.

I have often said that the nt1000 is the secret weapon in the rode products.

Alan

I have often said that the nt1000 is the secret weapon in the rode products.

Alan

That's what I read when I researched the NT1000 prior to purchasing. Was definitely the 'right' decision, my tests have definitely revealed a huge improvement over my prior (non-vocal specific) mic.

I use the nt1000 for voc often, even my own. About 6" away if singing loud Rock voc, about 4" if intimate vocal. I use a pop shield always. This mic has a lot of gain and does not have a pad so pad at the preamp, you will not cause the actual mic to distort with any voc take my word for that.

Alan

Thanks again Alan, your estimates were spot-on for my real world recording/testing last weekend. The NT1000 is pretty amazing for the price, really crisp.

Back