Rode Nt1000 Mic Barley Audible

Tjbenz

Bought a pre owned nta1000 mic and when hooked up to phantom power and interface with gain up the vocals are barley audible. Took apart the capsule and noticed some "red sticky like stuff" on the circuit board and when I touched the wires they came off. Can I re soldier these wires? Is this red stuff normal or some type of corrosion? Attached are pics.

ml2kuo.jpg

opaftl.jpg

Without pulling mine apart, the only picture on the net did not have the sticky stuff. However Rode do sometimes change practice during production so they may have added a protective substance over the board. Ring or email Rode support and ask them, they have the best support I have ever contacted. You may be able to send the mic to them for repair if required. If the wires just fell off, that may be the problem as it may have had a dodgy solder connection.

Can you get a refund on the mic?

By the way I own 2 x NT1000's and love them.

Alan.

The red stuff is likely what is called ........
Conformal coating

Depending on what was used for the coating it may be easy to rework/resolder components or it can be next to impossible.

Thanks for the info guys! I will contact Rode. Any rough idea of what they charge for repairs? I bought it used so I don't think there's a warranty. Don't want to spend too much fixing it since it's a fairly inexpensive mic new. May be better just to sell as parts. What do you guys think? Thanks

Rode get great rep for support so I'm not suggestion you shouldn't contact them,
but if it's out of warranty anyway, soldering two wires back in place is an easy thing for someone to do.

It may not be the root cause of your issue, but I'm just throwing out that you might know someone who could do this for you, just to rule it out if nothing else.

Yes, LOOKS a simple re-solder job but! Be very careful not to heat up the board lest the Surface Mount components drop off! I they do and get mixed up, game over. They are also a reet bugger to solder back! Take careful, high res' photos first.

Oh and be careful not to touch any of the components associated with the capacitor capsule. There will be at least one Gig Ohm resistor and a dab of the digit will bugger it. MIGHT be possible to wash one with pharmacy grade alcohol and cotton buds?

Dave.

Back