Rode Nt1 versusShure SM7b for vocals

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
Rode Nt1 versusShure SM7b for vocals

How do they compare? Anyone used both mics?

Rhode seems to have a pretty flat response, flatter than the Shure. But the Shure seems to be a staple for DJ's. I am currently using an MXL 2010 and am hoping to get something to warm up my vocals a little.

The Rode is about $100 cheaper. So... I know it all depends on your voice and everything but I am wondering if anyone has any direct experience with these two mics? :confused:

I read a few comments here on HR and it seems people find the NT1a a bit shrill and overly bright which is my problem with the MXL2010
Some recommended the MXL V67G - This is only a $100 mic! - so how doe either of these compare with the Shure SM7b?

Well the more old threads I read here the more it looks like the SM7b is the way to go :p

Last edited:
The reason I purchased the SM7B, was because of the poor quality of the NT1a I had, to sound worth a crap for a singer with balls. The Rode gets harsh and grainy really quick with a singer that projects with their gut and not controlling their projection. In other words, balls out 'shout' type singing. Not that these guys didn't have talent. The mic was just not the right one for the style. In the style of Alice Cooper for an example, the SM7 worked miracles comparatively.

That being said, the SM7 needs a bunch of gain at the preamp. A NT1a, needs little gain, and seems to work best with more subtle sources. I use it as a room mic now more than anything else. I have had good results with soft singers. IMO, just not a good choice for capturing any source that is harsh to begin with. The SM7 tends to smooth the savage beast. NT1a makes it unusable.

Does the SM7b require more pre-amp volume than a SM57? Are they similar in output? Cause my Alesis pres work fine with an SM57.

Yes. The mics are very similar. A modified 57 will need the same extra gain as the SM7. The differences have been described in many forums. There are many that have said that an SM57 is the same mic with the transformer removed. This does no account for what the basket and resonance of the body of the mic introduce. They are the same in many respects. Can you modify a SM57 to sound similar to a SM7? Sure. Will it react and sound just like a SM7? No. You can get similar results from many mic's that sound like others. It really comes down to what you are using the mic for. The SM7 basket gives results that can not be reproduced with the 57. Is it better? I don't friggen know. It works in a particular situation that a 57 did not for me. No mic is ever the perfect one for everything. Ever.....

Yeah, I've heard that the rode can be a little harsh as well. The v67g is pretty good for the price, but still has some harshness up in the higher range so I don't think it'd be what you're looking for.

Of course, there is also always the EV re320 to consider. It's the new kid on the block in my studio...I love it. :)

Well I'm trying to figure out if I will have to buy a pre too. If the speaks pre's aren't loud enough.

G, you use that as a vocal Mic?

Why my threads keep locking?

Yeah, I use it on vox. Unfortunately I've never used a sm7b though, so I can't give much of a comparison. The re320 is satisfying though, I can tell you that :)

Back