Rode NT1 TOO sensitive??!?

mutt

I'm looking at buying a large diaphragm condenser (around the $200 range) to record vocals - and the reviews on the Rode NT1 look great, except that many people have said they are extremely sensitive. Since I record in my spare bedroom, which means that a phone ringing or a loud noise on the TV set in the living room may be faintly heard at times, would the NT1 be wrong for my set up?

Any thoughts on the CAD E-100?? (I think I can pick up a used one for about $80)

Or any other mics in the $200 price range which would be a good vocal mic??

Should I stick with a large diaphragm mic for vocals or consider a small diaphragm model as well?? (Like the Rode NT3)

mutt

Well I'm not going to steer you awy from the NT-1, cause I think for the money it's an awsome sounding mic. I can;t tell you about the CAD though. To me it sounds like you need to unplug your phone, and turn of the TV and do a little rengade acoustical treatment in the spare bedroom!

-jhe

for what you wanna do, i'd stick with the nt1. just be sure to record at times when everyone's out of the house, and unplug the phone and tv. for $200, it's an incredible asset to have.

Hey, if your having problems with some backround noise you could pump up your gate a little(if you have one). If you don't have a compressor/gate/limiter.... get one. They make so much of a difference

The E 100 is also a very sensitive mic..You are not going to hear that much if any drop off in sensitivity between the two mics...for 80 bucks I'd grab the E 100...

mutt - if you get a better and more sensitive mic, it's going to pick up more noise in the environment - fact of life. Accept the increase in ambient noise, or change the environment. :)

If Don's right, and the CAD's as sensitive as the Rode, then you're saving $120 getting it.

The NT-1's a great mic.

Oh what the hell, why not get both for $80 more? :)

Hi,
I'm trying to decide on the NT-1 or the Audio Technica 4033. Mainly for vocals and acoustic guitar. Any suggestions appreciated. kmar

The CAD E-100 for $80 is a good buy. I had one I paid $129 for. I liked it alot, but got a bid for $160 on Ebay and sold it to buy an AKG C1000. Wish I had kept the E-100.
I've also got a CAD95 small condenser that sounds pretty nice . . . they make good mics.

Regards,
PAPicker

Back