The Rode NT1 Or The Shure KSM27?

Accolade

I currently am using a Shure Beta 58A to record my vocals which is of course a dynamic. I've gotten great results from it once the vocals are mixed and mastered but now I want to take alot of the hassles out of that process with a new microphone. I've been looking around and pretty much narrowed it down to two mics, the Rode NT1 and Shure's KSM27. It's been a very hard choice to make, I've checked the reviews on musicians friend and it's made it even harder. My budget is 300 and both fit the budget easy. The thing is with the Rode I was going to get a preamp with it, the Presonus TubePre Microphone Preamp to be exact. Which is better? I am only concerned with the greatest vocal quality possible, so what is my best bet? The Rode NT1 with the Presonus preamp? Or just the straight up Shure KSM27. Someone please help me with my choice. thanks

Accolade said:
I currently am using a Shure Beta 58A to record my vocals which is of course a dynamic. I've gotten great results from it once the vocals are mixed and mastered but now I want to take alot of the hassles out of that process with a new microphone. I've been looking around and pretty much narrowed it down to two mics, the Rode NT1 and Shure's KSM27. It's been a very hard choice to make, I've checked the reviews on musicians friend and it's made it even harder. My budget is 300 and both fit the budget easy. The thing is with the Rode I was going to get a preamp with it, the Presonus TubePre Microphone Preamp to be exact. Which is better? I am only concerned with the greatest vocal quality possible, so what is my best bet? The Rode NT1 with the Presonus preamp? Or just the straight up Shure KSM27. Someone please help me with my choice. thanks

What preamp would you be using with the Shure? The inexpensive presonus tube products are not very highly regarded. If you are looking for an inexpensive pre for vocals, check out the Studio Projects VTB-1.

Here's the thing. No single mic is going to be great for all voices. Either the NT1 or the Shure could be great for your voice, or they could be terrible. As a general thought, the Rode tends to be a little more "bright" sounding than the Shure, which is more neutral. If you need more brightness, the Rode might be good. If your voice is bright already, consider the Shure.

The best thing would be to audition them both at your local music store (if possible) and decide which one you like best. If not, just pick one and get it. If it doesn't work for you, sell it on e-bay.

Good luck.

the thing is with the shure i won't be able to get a preamp. so would i be better off just getting the rode? i won't be the only one using it, three other friends of mine will be. and rhe preamp that you recommended scrubs got lower reviews compared the presnous one. good looks on the review paddy.

Every mic requires a preamp. How are you amplifying your current mic? Do you have a mixer, or other unit with integrated preamps? If so, maybe forego another preamp for now, and get a nice mic. You can build your pre collection later.

Accolade said:
the thing is with the shure i won't be able to get a preamp. so would i be better off just getting the rode? i won't be the only one using it, three other friends of mine will be. and rhe preamp that you recommended scrubs got lower reviews compared the presnous one. good looks on the review paddy.

The presonus preamp is very noisy when you whack up the gain, if they had spent the same effort on the circuitry as they did on the colourful leds and blue anodised aluminium it might have been a great product.

If you bought the nt1 and vtb1 on ebay you should be able to bring it in just above $300:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=7313061424&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23790&item=7313323047&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Back