Rode NT1-A Questions

CAlbertson

I have the NT1-A but not the Rodb mic cable that comes with it. I got the Mic used for $80 and it seems to work except for the few od things about it

1) A "Standard" Neutrik NC3FXX just barely fits. I have to use WAY to much force to push the cable in until the lock clicks. I'll break something if I push harder. I think it is because the #1 pin (ground) is longer than the other two pins. Why is the pin longer than the others? Do other people have this same problem. I can't believe Rode would make a mic then does not worth with the most common XLR connector on Earth. No the mic is not bent, the threaded rings work smoothly to mount the NT1-a to the roe SM6 shock mount.

2) I connect this to a Presonus "Firebox" and need to turn the mic gain way up to 60dB. At this gain setting I get usable recording level but it's way down below where I'd like it. I thought this mic was more sensitive But the sound is good How can I verify the mic has the correct sensitivity?

I have this mic and don't have any trouble plugging any of my standard XLR cables into it, nor do I need tons of gain to get any sound out of it (I typically have my Roland Quad-Capture preamp gain up around half way for a decent level). I guess that you're phantom power is working ok as you're getting some sound out of it. Does your preamp work ok with other mics? If so, maybe you have a defective unit.

I have this mic and don't have any trouble plugging any of my standard XLR cables into it, nor do I need tons of gain to get any sound out of it (I typically have my Roland Quad-Capture preamp gain up around half way for a decent level). I guess that you're phantom power is working ok as you're getting some sound out of it. Does your preamp work ok with other mics? If so, maybe you have a defective unit.

1) You say "any of my standard XLR cables" but which connectors are on these cables? Are any of them genuine Neutrik NC3FXX type?

2) Does your NT1-A have pin 1 longer than the other two pins

3) It is hard to say in a forum post how much gain is required. Maybe I need to compare it to a know-good mic.

1) You say "any of my standard XLR cables" but which connectors are on these cables? Are any of them genuine Neutrik NC3FXX type?

3) It is hard to say in a forum post how much gain is required. Maybe I need to compare it to a know-good mic.

1) I don't know. They aren't fancy cables, by any means.

2) Now I'm home I've had a look and yes, pin 1 is longer.

Most/all modern phantom powered mics will have pin 1 slightly longer than the rest; Maybe other mics do too.
Pin 1 is ground and if it's longer than the rest it means your mic is grounded before voltages are applied.
If there was any fault or short, ground is connected before anything else in the interests of safety.

The same as UK 3 pin power.

The tight fit thing....IDK, try a different cable?
One of my oktava mk219s is tight as bejazus and the other one isn't. No obvious reason for this. <scratches head>

RE: Gain.
That doesn't sound normal.
I have that mic and a presonus firestudio mobile which I think has the same preamps as your unit.
I think I'd get a usable signal with the gain around 9/10 oclock. I'd have to check.
Certainly on the < side of 12 oclock anyway.

The best way to verify your levels is to just post a clip of a completely raw recording that peaks in a sensible range.
We'll know to listen if it's quieter than it should be.

The manufacturing tolerances vary from XLR to XLR.

I've experienced the same. Some connectors slip in easily, some are very tight.

I use a Rode NT1a for a room mic for drums. My interface has 60dB preamps, and I get -20 average dBFS in DAW with preamps set at about 4 o'clock.

Keep in mind, I don't know what it is you are recording. Drums are loud, and the NT1 is a really sensitive mic. I have doubts that yours is working correctly, unless you are expecting more input gain than you need.

I suppose the first question we should be asking is "what input level are you getting in DAW"?

As said before, pin 1 is often longer that the others.

Some of the mics I own (not just rode) are very tight fitting with some brands of xlr. Even though there is a xlr standard different designs do make the the connection tighter some times.

Regarding the levels, You should not have to turn up the mic level to +60, have you set the levels in the firebox control panel (not the mixer) I think there is a +12db boost that can be clicked to increase low level inputs.

Alan.

One problem solved. Rode customer service emailed me and said to look inside the mic's XLR and see if there is a blue ring inside and to remove it. It was a little blue rubber bumper that prevented the mating XLR connector from going in all the way. The cheap XLRs fit well because they are made with thin metal over plastic Neutrik are die cast. Now it is tight but at least it locks. Turns out the blue rings are to take up the "slop" for the cheaper connectors.

Now to figure out if the gain is reasonable..... It seems I have some ideas to try, thanks.

Back