Rode NT1 and C1000?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I'm looking to get two mics for drum overheads and for acoustic guitar and voice. In my price range it's going to be a Rhode NT1 or AKG C1000. I know that a matched pair of mics are better for overheads- but would two C1000's (or the Nt1) be necessarily matched? IF NOT, then why not try one of each? The idea of having a small and a large diaphragm mic at my disposal seems like I would have more at my disposal- having two of the same seems not of as much use- except for stereo stuff.

If I get two of either one, I'm perfectly torn over the two. I've heard them both and I thought the c1000's were louder and (almost too) crisper, the NT1 more round.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I've got one of each - for vocals, the Rode's way better, no comparison. For acoustic guitar, either, depending on the sound you want. Dunno bout drums.

For what it's worth, though, what really sounds good is to use both of them in combination for either voice or guitar. I think two of anything in the same price range is probably better than just one mic.

I'd probably go for variety too. Small condensers are very good on acoustic, from what I understand it's the smaller diaphragm is quicker to respond, so more transients. Probably true for overheads too, altho I see large condensers used as well and I personally go back and forth between SM81s and At34033s for overheads.

A pair of NT1's is what I would go with between the two. This mic does a great job recording overheads, accoustic guitars and vocals. I have use one for all three applications and loved the results that I got.

I'll throw in another vote for variety. I just got an AT 4033 and a C1000 and have used them simultaneously for acoustic or vocals. I just pan one hard left and the other hard right and it gives me a subtle stereo effect without having to use a lot of other processing. I don't have a drum kit so I can't offer an opinion there.

Actually I have a question about the C1000. The mic clip I got with it doesn't fit either of my stands. Can I get an adapter so it will fit on a standard mic stand? Right now I put the mic on the "egg crate" foam it was packed in and put that on an adjustable workbench. A pain in the butt, but for now it works.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Since my transmission in my car is acting all screwy, I think I'll have to sate my craving for some nice mics with one :( NT1 for now. I'd probably wait, but Musicians friend has them for $199 (limited time offer??) -they were $299 before.

(but honey... it was on sale!!)

Since I'm working with only four tracks the drums usually get summed to mono, so maybe two is'nt even the answer anyway- I'd love to have a pair of small condensors to do live recordings that dont suck- later in the budget though...

Since your drums are going to be mono, there is no need to have stereo overhead mics like you mentioned. The NT1 is a sensitive mic , and one mic should do a good job capturing your drum sounds. Just work on its postioning to find the best sound.

Dave-O: If the problem with fitting the AKG c1000 mic clip to the stand is that the threads on your stand are big and the threads in the mic clip are small, there is a simple solution. Look at the threaded part of the mic clip - see the silver metal ring in there? It is an adapter. Take a penny, put it in the slots on the ring (like a screwdriver) and unscrew the adapter. The clip should fit on the stand just fine then.

Raj,

Thanks for the reply. I found exactly what you said the day after I posted the question. I felt kind of stupid asking something that simple - I was kind of hoping my question would die with no one noticing.

Thanks.

Back