Rightside up or upside down?

tone_aot

Owner of ToneJonez.com
I would like to hear peoples opinions on whether hang their mics upside down or mount them rightside up. I know that there is a reason for tube mics to be upside down. Otherwise, what are some opinions on mounting tube-less mics?

Id like to know this too. But I'm thinking that people just experiment to see what sounds best for them.

the illest alive seems to like it upsidedown, but I can't do it as easily without getting nervous, Hamburgs are too straight to hang upsidedown without the possibility of them slipping.....

Upside down looks cool. Actually I have my mic mounted upside down so I can keep the stand out of the way of the singer. I've actually heard there is really no difference if you have a mic upright or upside down, even tube mics.

I just mounted my mic upside down. Pretty big difference. It's not that the mic changes, it's that you change. When the mic is up higher, you lift your head. This means that your throat will open up more when you sing/rap. I did an a/b comparison and was amazed at the clarity in my voice when i actually used it! Makes it easier to hit high or loud notes.

There's a nubmer of reasons for goign upside down.
There's the fact taht you'll usually lift your head, clearing the airways for singing.
Also, it makes it easier to see any music/cue sheets that the vocalist might need.
A good tube mic shouldn't need to be upside down- it shoudl ahve been designed tso that the heat from the tube either doens't effct the capsule, or does so in a pleasing way. However, I mount cheaprer tubes upside down, because you just never know.
Also, ribbons are occasionally mounted upside down, in an attempt to "balance" out the sagging that occurs whilst they are right-way up.

I prefer to leave the mic right side up and have the singer stand on their head. More entertaining that way. :D

Back