Replaced a tlm 103 with a tlm 127 and...

kats

Well I sent back my tlm 103 cause it was scratched up (demo). They didn't have another one in stock so they gave me an awesome deal on the tlm127 they had in stock. They said it sounds just the same as the 103 but with more options. I said ok.

Well I'm posting to tell you it DOES NOT sound just the same as the 103. Having said that I like the sound better. It just seems fuller. (Of course YMMV) but I love the damn mic. I finally was able to get the sound from my amp to disk - or better put I owed that amp better. I am so stoked you guys have no idea. I listened to the track 50 times last night and just loved it - didn't even touch the damn eq it was perfect.

Gibson LP R8 --> Marshall 1974x HW-->Neumann TLM 127-->UA LA-610--> digi002 (seasoned with a touch of verb) = the sound of God :)

kats said:
Well I sent back my tlm 103 cause it was scratched up (demo). They didn't have another one in stock so they gave me an awesome deal on the tlm127 they had in stock. They said it sounds just the same as the 103 but with more options. I said ok.

Well I'm posting to tell you it DOES NOT sound just the same as the 103. Having said that I like the sound better. It just seems fuller. (Of course YMMV) but I love the damn mic. I finally was able to get the sound from my amp to disk - or better put I owed that amp better. I am so stoked you guys have no idea. I listened to the track 50 times last night and just loved it - didn't even touch the damn eq it was perfect.

Gibson LP R8 --> Marshall 1974x HW-->Neumann TLM 127-->UA LA-610--> digi002 (seasoned with a touch of verb) = the sound of God :)

Boy howdee. The TLM127 does not sound just like a TLM103. But, the TLM127 does not sound better than the TLM103. The TLM127 sounds like a TLM127 and it is a better mic for what you are recording today. Someday, the TLM127 will not sound good on that source that day and another mic will be better on that source that day.

You are learning about mic lockers and why they exist. It is great to learn!

Good Luck.

Don't forget that the 127 has switchable patterns, so the dealer was right in that it has more options. Try experimenting with stuff, it will be fun!

10 bucks says you listen to it today and wonder "what was i thinkin?!"

HAHA normally I'd say your right! Thing is, that amp I use is is a tone monster. The 127 seems to be the only mic I've tried (out of dozens) that captures that tone the way *I* hear it. And fer sure, it might be horrible on one of my other amps, but by simple fluke - it works for me!

I'm not really trying to say anything, but I was so happy I had to blab. The wife just doesn't get it :D

Back