Reducing background noise?

Cuppycake

Hello, new here

I'm just getting back into streaming on twitch.tv. Not looking to go pro or anything just having some fun with viewers in my spare time. I picked up a Blue Snowball Ice for super cheap and I love the quality so far. It seems its just what I need at this point. In my broadcasting software I feel like its better for me to use a push to talk function because the hum of my computer is rather loud while gaming. Once I start putting it under load the graphics card fan and the power supply fan kick in to compensate. The snowball picks all of this up and its a constant hum to my viewers if I dont use push to talk. And even when I am using push to talk you still hear it. I live in the city and the mic also sometimes pics up traffic noise.

So my question is, is their any way to isolate my voice input? My computer is about 2 feet to my right and the mic is about a foot to my left. Some have mentioned certain software but its all been for recording but I am live streaming. Any help for a noob would be great :)

Thanks so much.

Hello, new here

I'm just getting back into streaming on twitch.tv. Not looking to go pro or anything just having some fun with viewers in my spare time. I picked up a Blue Snowball Ice for super cheap and I love the quality so far. It seems its just what I need at this point. In my broadcasting software I feel like its better for me to use a push to talk function because the hum of my computer is rather loud while gaming. Once I start putting it under load the graphics card fan and the power supply fan kick in to compensate. The snowball picks all of this up and its a constant hum to my viewers if I dont use push to talk. And even when I am using push to talk you still hear it. I live in the city and the mic also sometimes pics up traffic noise.

So my question is, is their any way to isolate my voice input? My computer is about 2 feet to my right and the mic is about a foot to my left. Some have mentioned certain software but its all been for recording but I am live streaming. Any help for a noob would be great :)

Thanks so much.

Here are some ideas, if you use a noise cancellation filter with a threshold setting (background noise), that would do the trick. Question would be how to route it through the filter and then through to the software. Try doing some research in that area, there are several ideas I saw when I did a search. Just have to pick one that works for you.

So my question is, is their any way to isolate my voice input? My computer is about 2 feet to my right and the mic is about a foot to my left. ..
Always-- the sound at the mic is a ratio of those distances and the two (voice' and noise) sound's volumes.
Cut the mic-to-voice distance = better voice-to-noise ratio.
Talk louder = better voice-to-noise ratio.
Etc.
Also there is the directional pattern of the mic, place the noise towards the back of the mic can help perhaps a little. But those distances are the biggie.

If all you're talking about is acoustic noise picked up by the mike, you can get a reflection filter like this, which will help considerably:

mxlrf100.jpg

However, the bottom line is you need a decent directional mike in an appropriately-treated room.

If all you're talking about is acoustic noise picked up by the mike, you can get a reflection filter like this, which will help considerably:

View attachment 82062

However, the bottom line is you need a decent directional mike in an appropriately-treated room.

Yeah thats a little much. Like I said, Its a video game/community stream in my spare time. . I'm not going for anything huge. I don't even make any money off of this. Ill try out some of the other replies. :) Thanks for the help.

If anyone else has more info that would be great!

Mixsit is all over this.
The big thing is going to be moving that computer away.
Speaking louder/closer to the mic will help also.

It's as simple as this - If you can hear it, the mic can hear it.

As an alternative to PTT you could try a noise gate. I expect broadcasting software lets you use plugins, right?

View attachment 82062

But then placed where it'd work.. he couldn't see the screen. But then the mic would be where it out to be-- and he wouldn't need it anyway :p:D

I use Open Broadcaster Software, OBS, and it does have a noise gate function built right in. But Honestly I have no idea how to config it. And its tedious because I need to launch my stream each time to hear it. I wish there was a listening function. Ive always just streamed with a gaming headset. This is my first interaction with any sort of stand alone mic.

Setting up a noise gate is a two second job if you're familiar with it.

Image-4.png

Ignore the red boxes...that's someone else's picture.

You set the threshold at a level. If the audio throughput is below the threshold, it won't be heard.
If it's above the threshold, it will be heard.

For speech, you'd set the attack time to the shortest possible.
You don't need to be fussy with release. Just turn it up a bit to make sure the gate doesn't kick in between words.

Ratio and range - Again, you don't need to be fussy. Just make sure there's a steep reduction.

Mixsit is all over this.
The big thing is going to be moving that computer away.
Speaking louder/closer to the mic will help also.

It's as simple as this - If you can hear it, the mic can hear it.

As an alternative to PTT you could try a noise gate. I expect broadcasting software lets you use plugins, right?
Expancers/gates etc, yep. Less noise.. But for that little gotcha' you gota' love.. 'except when when you're actually talking
:D

Expancers/gates etc, yep. Less noise.. But for that little gotcha' you gota' love.. 'except when when you're actually talking
:D

What's that?
If you're saying the noise gate does nothing while you speak, I know that.
OP should move the computer too.

So I assume its just going to be a little trial and error while setting up the noise gate? I get the principal of it. Is it pretty much like setting the sensitivity of the mic?

Its funny because this can all be semi-solved with a new, quieter, power supply for the pc but thats a PITA to swap out and re do all the cable management with my level of PC OCD haha. Plus that costs $

I dont mind if the noise is heard while Im talking. Talking over it is not an issue and barely noticeable but if I wasn't using PTT its constantly transmitting and picking up nothing but the hum of the fan.

Back