red5audio microphones

Friday

Hello fellow audio people,

I have been recommended these guys for somewhere to get good quality and well priced microphones,

studio microphones, drum mics and audio cables

in particular I am looking at the RVD30 Dynamic Microphone

Red5 Audio Ltd Dynamic Microphones

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 audio interface and I want to use this microphone mainly for recording electric guitar out of my Vox AC-15 into my PC and maybe for miking up at small gigs every now and then.
It would be nice if I could use the mic to record the occasional acoustic guitar and/or vocal track too. Maybe even a banjo on occasion .

I bought a used Shure SM-57 on ebay this week but when it arrived it was clearly not a genuine product and I am in the process of returning it. In the meantime I've learned about the red5audio people and what with this being the first microphone I'll have bought and not knowing much about mic's I thought I'd run them past you folks in here to see what you think of the general look of them and their spec sheets.
Would this RVD30 compare favourably to a SM-57 or is there some clear blue water between them?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Looks pretty good. Kinda like their version of a 57.
Never tried one myself.

Hit back here with your findings, Friday.

I will,
they look like a direct competitor for the SM-57 to me,probably made in the far east for low cost and a small operation running out of a unit in Scotland somewhere can afford to sell online for a good price.
I have no idea what I'm looking at when I see a spec sheet for a microphone though so I was hoping someone with more experience than me would be able to have a look at the more info tab on the listing and tell me if it looks ok.
I'm sure you can only tell so much by looking at a paper representation of something though.
I've messaged them asking for a lower priced shipping option too so we'll see.

Friday, in regards to the person who referred you to this mic company, has he/she actually used them extensively? Realizing some US made mics are difficult to obtain in Europe, I would think you still have access to Beyer, Sennheiser, AKG, etc.. (and certainly Oktava) though the price seems worth the risk, a known quality mic (I would think) isn't too much more. Many/most of these knock-offs come from China and can be a crap-shoot as to the quality. Something to consider.

There's a thread going about the virtues and otherwise of analog and digital delay units for guitars on a UK forum and I mentioned on that thread that I'd bought a SM-57 but was returning it as I had doubts and one of the other members on there mentioned the red5audio people to me as being worth considering.
He actually recommended the valve mic to me and appears to be a knowledgeable guy on other subjects I've seen him comment on,in fact I'd go as far as to say he and I have quite similar tastes in a few things.
I just thought it was worth mentioning it in here to see if anyone else was using the mic's and maybe get some feedback about the quality of the goods from other folks who had used them but it appears that they're not too popular although I see at the bottom of the page that a member in here bought one in 2009 and recommended them then so if they've been going a few years that gives me some confidence in them.
In fact I just messaged horizon_scott about the condenser he bought in 2009 so if he's still about maybe he can give me a review after a few years use,always the best kind.
:)

I've just spent a few weeks reading Harvey Gerst's enormous and comprehensive thread on microphones and I think I may actually have absorbed some of it too,wow,what a read.
I am a total mic noob and I would have been happy with a used SM-57 if the one I'd bought on ebay didn't arrive looking like it was finished in a kindergarden school,luckily a friend has a genuine SM-58 and comparing the two left me in doubt that that the one I'd bought was a dud.
Anyway,I can either buy a new SM-57 for £80 or I can try one of the red5audio ones for half that and put the money towards something else,I'll see if I can't garner some more opinion yet though as I'm in no hurry to part with my cash.

What would you guys recommend for me to use for recording mainly amplified guitar with but with a possibilty of being able to be used for other purposes,perhaps the occasional vocal or acoustic instrument?

Cheers folks.

:)

It's been said before here at HR that an all purpose secret weapon microphone that won't let you down is the AKG 2000B. ;) Finding one used is always a delightful occurrence.

What would be a good price to pay for a used AKG C2000 B then?

£50?

That mic would be ok to use for miking up a guitar cabinet,what with being a condenser?

Last edited:
you should be so lucky as to get it for 50 squid in the uk.
If you do pm me a link.
Let us know how the red mic works out.

There's one for sale a few miles from me,I just don't want to make an insultingly low offer which I guess £50 is.

A drummer friend of mine bought the Red5 Audio drum mic set and i've borrowed it a handful of times and have been pleasantly surprised. First time i used it i had planned just to grab the tom mic's out of it and stick with a D112, 57, and a pair of MK012's but thought "meh, i've got the time, let's see how they go". i ended up sticking with everything in the set other than the kick mic which i went back to a D112. with hindsight i should've gone back to the 57 for the snare as it didn't have the same punch. used it live a couple of times and it's done a stellar job. at £159 for the whole set and the fact that the claps for the tom mic's are big enough to hold a 57 if you wanna swap but still use the clips (one of my many issues with the samson set; that and i don't like the C02's at all!) it's pretty ace! i've had a look at the other mic's they do and i'd be intrigued to hear some more of them, although a lot of them look like some rebrands :confused:

Well,I have it.It appears to be working ok recording my voice and acoustic guitar into my DAW. I'm going to have to do some reading up now on how best to use it I guess.
Are there any tests I can run on it to check it out?

Well once you mess with getting the proper microphone placement everything else that you record is how well it sounds to you.

Back