Recording vocals: what're you using?

I have an MXL 4000 going into a Pro MPA II going into dbx 160A (pretty much no compression added, though) going into a MOTU 896. All pretty cheap stuff, but I'm poor, and I have my reasons for the MPA II and dbx.

The Preamp can just provide more functions and cleaner gain for me than the MOTU and the compressor adds a bit of color that I actually really really like.

Rode NT1000, Rode NT2 (very old prototype version, Rare), Sontronics STC-3X, AKG4000C, Audiotechnica AT3525 (female sometimes), I recently picked up a CAD Tron 8000, which I have used once and it was impressive.

It all depends on the voice, however if I only had one of these it would be the NT1000 as it's the best all rounder.

Alan.

Yamaha CM500 headset quite often and the Nady scm960. It is not often I feel anything needs vocal. Maybe some old acoustic guitar song - like Wild Thing

SM7b with Vintech X73i. Soft female voices or metal screamers. Always good. Even if I forget to shut the window...

What do you like about the Vintech?

Also, damn, it's good to see that the regulars are still regulars. :laughings:

Nothing to not like. Going to buy a second one soon mostly for acoustic guitar. The mic going through the Vinny always sounds better.

I will say that it not necessarily a game changer from the preamps on my interface, but it does sound much better to me. With the sm7b a touch of the high eq makes a big difference especially for female vocals. A few times a mid cut has been awesome for distorted guitar. That all I got. :)

Am I a 'regular'? Wish my bowels were... :laughings:

RE20's been almost a go to. (often what tracking I do is band 'live in the room.
I picked up a KMS8 for our live acoustic band -where everyone uses the one mic, and my voc in our electric band.
Wanted to try for the same reason as the RE20 -low proximity effect/more consistent tone at varying distances, none (or little) of that muffled tone up close. So far everyone seems to sound good on it. Let's say more so than other mics I've used? Impressed enough I'm shooting for the KSM9HS hyper card.
Strange maybe, but lately, for what I do, I guess I'm finding more utility out of well behaved mics like these than the LD Condensers.
:wtf: :)

My go to mic is a Mojave MA300. I just plug it straight into my Steinberg interface although I borrowed several preamps for a while from a friend who isn't recording much, and the mic sounding great through a Black Lion Auteur.

SE Z3300a into ART Pro Digital MPA ii preamp into ART Pro VLA ii compressor into Roland Studio capture interface into Sonar.

Out of necessity I changed the tubes in the Pro MPA ii and it sounds very good indeed.

"CAD GXL2200" ( it's pretty much a FET mock version of a U87 ) into mackie 24x8 console ( as my preamps )direct outs into Alesis Adat HD24 (for AD/DA conversion ) piped into Motu 828mk3 hybrid then firewire800 port...Windows 7 Pro SONAR 8.5 producer.... run no compression...very true uncolored vocal reproduction ...OK that was a lot said, don't be afraid to check out CAD studio mics...they are great and wallet friendly!

Just curious. Pls include what kind of stuff you're doing along with the given mic(s).

just love doing vocs with dynamic mics and not expensive ones. either a shure sm 58 or a sennheiser 835 works great. Got some condensers i'll use time to time ( at,mxl,mono price. , but always seems easier to work with dynamic mics on vocs in my home studio.

SE Z3300a into ART Pro Digital MPA ii preamp into ART Pro VLA ii compressor into Roland Studio capture interface into Sonar.

Out of necessity I changed the tubes in the Pro MPA ii and it sounds very good indeed.

Really? How much better does it sound? It's a pretty low end preamp. I have a hard time believing that changing the tubes would increase the quality dramatically.

Back